Third Party Press
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie buys a K98k

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia

Quote Originally Posted by Greybeard View Post
    Bolt body bad, is that dangerous as far as firing or bad for value? I'm probably missing on both points. Thanks for the input.
    The bolt body was renumbered to match the receiver serial. This was NOT done by the Germans but someone post-WW2 (likely stateside) to fraudulently match the bolt to the receiver.

The curious part is the shroud is good. I’ve got a theory on your rifle. It’s a late 5 digit, darn near A block, and it’s a Brünn I, perfect combination to have potentially had a reclaimed bolt used (at the factory) in production. I’ve got a suspicion your rifle was likely one of those and “looked wrong” to someone and so they attempted to make it look how they thought it “should” look. That’s my theory, I’m sticking to it haha. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, that’s the part I hate about this.

I needed to magnify the pic to see more clearly... and the cocking piece serials made this more interesting too.

You can see horizontal marks across the bolt face suggesting grinding. These 'dot' bolts most often have a hardness dimple, and the "5" is wrong too...

Numeral fonts are shown in this post for Brunn1.

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....rals-1943-1944
    Attached Images Attached Images

email => K98@bobinohio.com

awesome piece

Quote Originally Posted by Bob in OHIO View Post
    I needed to magnify the pic to see more clearly... and the cocking piece serials made this more interesting too.

You can see horizontal marks across the bolt face suggesting grinding. These 'dot' bolts most often have a hardness dimple, and the "5" is wrong too...

Numeral fonts are shown in this post for Brunn1.

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....rals-1943-1944
    Not sure if this helps, here's the picture in a higher resolution. Also, disassembled the bolt last night and found the firing pin and cocking piece had matching serial numbers on them (last two digits of 54). Thanks for the interesting information on this rifle.
    Attached Images Attached Images

BTW, the numbers on the bolt sleeve had a lot of corrosion in them when I bought it, what you are seeing is after a 15 minutes of cleaning. The numbers suffered from the corrosion obviously, and sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by adalah View Post
    awesome piece
    Thank you. Finally have one.