Third Party Press

Thread: Help ID a Model 98 trigger guard

Default Help ID a Model 98 trigger guard

I bought this Model 98 trigger guard out of a junk pile thinking it would fit a K98, but it's not quite right. It's the correct overall length between the action screws for a K98 and accepts a standard floor plate and release catch, but the front tang is shorter than a standard G/K98 trigger guard forward of the front guard screw. the capture screw also sits behind the front screw rather than ahead of it. Anyone recognize what this fits?

Probably a Belgian FN or a Chinese copy or israeli. I have one that is parkerized which i think is a FN part supplied to Israel.

Hey Buddy, is that an E/4 in your pocket?

Looking at the front of the magazine well it could be a Norway convert to 30.06

I donít think itís Israeli. I have an Israeli K98 in an Israeli stock and it takes a standard K98 guard. The overall length of the magazine box is also the same as 8mm so I donít think itís 30-06. Weird one.

I agree that this guard is not from a 98k but that it is for a 7.92mm length cartridge. My example fits an FN stock. So, I am fairly certain that the guard in question is from an FN produced rifle, likely one of the many 98 actioned rifles produced for export after 1922. Israel did receive parts and possibly some M1930 short rifles from FN. China acquired M1924 and M1930 FN rifles. Given the condition pictured my bet is that it is off one of the ones that went to China. There is a picture of the front of a Chinese FN Model 1924 short rifle guard with lock screw to the rear of the main guard screw shown on Page 91 of Mauser Military Rifles of the World, 4th Edition.
    Last edited by GEM; 02-16-2019 at 02:39 PM.