Third Party Press

237 - 1940, s/243 - 1937

SMA

Hello, I have just signed up with this forum and was am wondering what I have. I have went through some of the post and gathered some info. I thought maybe you guys might be able to give me more exact info, rather than me fumbling through stuff I know nothing about. I have to Mausers marked as described in the title. I would like to know if someone could help with the value and history of them? I will try to include photos. I have included pictures of the 237/1940, I have more photos or can take specific photos if asked for. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4797.jpg
    IMG_4797.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4794.jpg
    IMG_4794.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4800.jpg
    IMG_4800.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 35
Welcome aboard. Ask away here, it's what we're here for. So far the metal looks to have original patina, the numbers I see so far look good/matching. But literally we need to see all serial numbered areas. The wood appears heavily rounded/sanded or sported which hurts value considerably but all is not lost. Basically we need to see the whole rifle and any marked parts.

Ohh, and the 237/1940 was produced at Berlin-Lubeckermaschinenfabrik, Lubeck in 1940 of course. The S/243 was made at Mauser Werke AG, Borsigwalde in 1937.

Not an easy rifle to locate please post more pictures when you can. When it comes to BLM made rifles the earlier one made pieces are much scarcer. From my records I believe the 1936 production numbers was under 12,000

Thank you, here are more pictures:

Attachments

• IMG_4791.jpg
    IMG_4791.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4792.jpg
    IMG_4792.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4794.jpg
    IMG_4794.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4795.jpg
    IMG_4795.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4796.jpg
    IMG_4796.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 24
and some more:

Attachments

• IMG_4798.jpg
    IMG_4798.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4799.jpg
    IMG_4799.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4801.jpg
    IMG_4801.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4802.jpg
    IMG_4802.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4803.jpg
    IMG_4803.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 15
Ohh Can see from your latter pics it was "sportered" unfortunately. Is the other one mentioned in unaltered condition?

I am not sure what "sportered" means, but I'm assuming it has to do with the stock? The other one I would say is not the original stock either. I will put up some pictures. I would like to know anything about the first one though. If it isn't a waste of time. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4804.jpg
    IMG_4804.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4805.jpg
    IMG_4805.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4806.jpg
    IMG_4806.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4807.jpg
    IMG_4807.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4808.jpg
    IMG_4808.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 10
here are some more

Attachments

• IMG_4809.jpg
    IMG_4809.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4810.jpg
    IMG_4810.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4811.jpg
    IMG_4811.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4812.jpg
    IMG_4812.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4813.jpg
    IMG_4813.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 9
Both have been "sported" (when a former military rifle is augmented into a sport/hunting rifle). Common fate of vet, bring back rifles. In many cases they can be returned to military configuration without much trouble but will never be "all matching" numbers again and hence not anywhere near potential value. But still great rifles to own and shoot.

A very common fate of many bring backs that were brought home. At the time veterans that brought these fine rifles home thought of them no more then a tool. Their prized Luger was their baby that was hid in a dresser draw somewhere, the K98k rifle was used to put food on the table. At the time why buy a hunting rifle when it was cheaper to turn a military rifle into a hunting sporting rifle. Plus it had a stronger action and was already on hand. After all you brought it home.

Plus alot of the importers in the 50s were also turning K98k rifles into hunting rifles. A good collector friend of mine remembers when he was kid in the late 60s early 70s. A gunshop he helped out at had barrels of K98k rifles. Some of the nicest stocks you could ever see on those rifles. The owner didn't care about matching rifles he just wanted the rifles for the actions and receivers. Stripped the rifles for their parts and their stocks were thrown in piles in the back room.

He saved up enough money to buy a very early K98k the owner had and it turned out to be all matching S/42k! He still has that rifle to this day.

Yep all very true but probably not nearly collectible as they are today left in original condition. Back in 1972 at a LGS nearby me the owner had a stack of old military arms on the floor. You could take your pick for around $25. Friend bought a Japanese Type 99 in 7.7 Wonder how many 98ks I may have missed out on!!

Yep all very true but probably not nearly collectible as they are today left in original condition. Back in 1972 at a LGS nearby me the owner had a stack of old military arms on the floor. You could take your pick for around $25. Friend bought a Japanese Type 99 in 7.7 Wonder how many 98ks I may have missed out on!!

That is what he was laughing about buying that S/42K for almost $30. It was one of the first rifles he bought and had to get his dad's permission, being he was young at the time. Told the store owner never know this might be worth something some day. Owner said, sure kid they make good use for their fine actions for my rifle builds! You wouldn't believe what he has been offered for that rifle today. He won't sell it though that rifle is his baby!

That is what he was laughing about buying that S/42K for almost $30. It was one of the first rifles he bought and had to get his dad's permission, being he was young at the time. Told the store owner never know this might be worth something some day. Owner said, sure kid they make good use for their fine actions for my rifle builds! You wouldn't believe what he has been offered for that rifle today. He won't sell it though that rifle is his baby!

Ha I can imagine what he has been offered Warrior. Nice he had the brains and opportunity to buy it! Was a long time before my dad gave me his 98k bringback I pictured here. Think he was afraid I might swap it for that Ruger 10/22 I was always haunting him for back in the 60s!!!

Those are great to read. Thanks for your time and input. As far as value goes, would they be above or below 500.00 each then, if you had to take a guess.

Sporter's I have seen sell from $350-$500 depending on condition and level of destruction in the sporting process. If drilled and tapped, original sights removed, metal buffed and reblued, stocks cut and reshaped or just plain replaced.. etc. Tends to take more value away. Yours look like they can be returned to military configuration with the proper parts. Just cost versus end value is all.

Thank you very much! We will keep the S/243 as it has been in the family for quite some time, although we don't know if it was brought back by our family member and then altered or not. He may have just purchased it, we will never know. The 237 we will probably do something with. Thank you all for your help.

Military Rifle Journal
Back