Third Party Press

dot 43

bowietx

After much searching over many states, hours, locations and miles, I believe that I found an all matching dot 43. Will leave it to the forum to confirm, but everything appears to be in the proper location on the rifle. If it is correct, it will be especially cool as my first k98 was a dot 44 bolt m/m. Took the best pictures possible of the relevant markings on the rifle, but let me know if there is anything that I missed.

Attachments

• Rifle Full.jpg
    Rifle Full.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 93
  • Barrel and Receiver Left Side.jpg
    Barrel and Receiver Left Side.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 85
  • Bolt 1.jpg
    Bolt 1.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 63
  • Bolt 2.jpg
    Bolt 2.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 66
  • Bolt Release.jpg
    Bolt Release.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 52
  • Bolt Shroud.jpg
    Bolt Shroud.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 59
  • dot Stamp.jpg
    dot Stamp.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 64
  • Extractor.jpg
    Extractor.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 47
  • Firing Pin and Cocking Piece.jpg
    Firing Pin and Cocking Piece.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 50
  • Floor Plate and Trigger Guard.jpg
    Floor Plate and Trigger Guard.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 65
More pics of the rifle

Attachments

• Front Band Left Side.jpg
    Front Band Left Side.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Handguard Internal.jpg
    Handguard Internal.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Handguard Outer.jpg
    Handguard Outer.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Rear Band Left Side.jpg
    Rear Band Left Side.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Rear Sight Base.jpg
    Rear Sight Base.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Rear Sight Slider Rear.jpg
    Rear Sight Slider Rear.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Rear Sight Slider top.jpg
    Rear Sight Slider top.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Receiver Top.jpg
    Receiver Top.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Stock Internal.jpg
    Stock Internal.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Trigger.png
    Trigger.png
    76.9 KB · Views: 35
looks good!

Bob,

Been on pins and needles for confirmation on this one. Thanks to flynaked's, mowzerluvr's, mrfarb's and your time and assistance this was possible. Everything that each of you has provided in the way of answers, opinions and information has gone into my notes. While I may be a slow learner and certainly have forgotten key pieces of information, it has not been for naught!! This may be the only one that I find in the wild, but it is fun to have finally done it!!

Well the only problem with that once you get your first they seem to multiply for some reason, they're like rabbits. I mean instead of seeing one in your safe, all sudden there's five and then it becomes 10. Then you start to question yourself where do these rifles keep coming from!

But glad to see you finally get one!

bowietx, that's a great looking dot 43. I have one in the L suffix, but m/m bolt. Great find.

Very nice. I've got 2448p and want to do a more in depth comparison. Looks good and congrats!

Your bottom metal is identical to mine in construction and markings. Any chance your front band is e/135?

Last edited:
Very nice. I've got 2448p and want to do a more in depth comparison. Looks good and congrats!

Your bottom metal is identical to mine in construction and markings. Any chance your front band is e/135?

Thanks and that is pretty cool to have a rifle in relative proximity, mine does have an e/135 on the right side of the front band. Does your rifle have a marking on the top of the handguard?

Looks good to me. I'm not an expert like some on this forum, but I have a matching correct "dot 1944" for comparison. I like your rifle !

Thanks and that is pretty cool to have a rifle in relative proximity, mine does have an e/135 on the right side of the front band. Does your rifle have a marking on the top of the handguard?

So while the stock has dot low on the keel, the handguard is unmarked outside and with a loup I determined it's a mismatch. Slightly bummed but it's the first mismatched bit I've found and it is a duffle cut so I guess it's not so surprising. Looks like it's been with the rifle a long time?

It’s a great looking rifle Will! No worries on the handguard, it’s just a partial strike of “dot” take a look at one of Craig’s for comparison: http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?292-dot-1943-walnut

I really like this one especially in WGL, for whatever reason dot43’s are harder to find, I think I’ve had 12 or 13 dot44’s but have yet to bring home a 43, congrats!

It’s a great looking rifle Will! No worries on the handguard, it’s just a partial strike of “dot” take a look at one of Craig’s for comparison: http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?292-dot-1943-walnut

I really like this one especially in WGL, for whatever reason dot43’s are harder to find, I think I’ve had 12 or 13 dot44’s but have yet to bring home a 43, congrats!

Clay, thanks!! That walnut example is crisp and clear. Mine is roughed up, but definitely present. Great eye and reference!!

Military Rifle Journal
Back