Third Party Press

Strange marking on DUV G43

indianadam

Hello,

I have seen this strange marking on two DUV G43: a square with a diagonal line in it.

I precise that rifles were not russian captures (similar markings are visible on russian small arms whitch had arsenal repairs)

What is the sense of this marking?

Thanks, sorry for my approximative english.

Damien

This is a picture of my G43 DUV "C" block, the marking is on the mount rail:

20190217_111515.jpg

Hello,

I have seen this strange marking on two DUV G43: a square with a diagonal line in it.

I precise that rifles were not russian captures (similar markings are visible on russian small arms whitch had arsenal repairs)

What is the sense of this marking?

Thanks, sorry for my approximative english.

Damien

This is a picture of my G43 DUV "C" block, the marking is on the mount rail:

View attachment 198457

Very intersting. I have not seen this marking before on these rifles. Usually that area is not marked. First time I have seen that.

For my G43 DUV44 "C" block, it was stolen to german army the first week of september 1944 in North of France.

Rifle is matching numbers, in original finish with sling and stock accessories. No post war markings or russian rework, it's the rifle on the middle on pictures. That's why i think this marking should have been done during ww2, not after.

The K43 DUV44 is not mine, but like mine, it as no after war marking, it is in original finish.

Best regards

20170715.jpg
20170712.jpg
20170711.jpg
20170714.jpg
20170710.jpg

My first thought was of a Russian depot marking as well, not only the marking itself but the strange locations?? Keep in mind not all RC’s are like the ones we are used to seeing, Vietnam bring backs turn up with original finish as well. Not to mention the video recently posted of hundreds of thousands of German weapons in a Russian warehouse with original finish, so who knows.

You think that it is possible that german ww2 rifle had been marked like this in Ukraine without "X" marking and new finish?

In France, k98k russian captures we can find are re-numbered and re-finished.

I think it could be possible.. I will look for G43 coming from Ukraine to see their finish.

If my rifle is coming from Ukraine, the man who sold it to me is a liar.. And i don't know how it was importated to France without any importation marking..

The mark on mine with the direction of the line could be Refurbishment mark of 1st Grau Arsenal. I don't know why they should have made it on the rail with no visibility. On my mosin rifle, i have a soviet marking on the wood stock, and on my sks it is on the top of the receiver cover.

I will disassembly my rifle to look for any other marking that i could have missed.

I am stupid to be so confident with the man who sold my the rifle. I was confident with his "story" as the rifle was matching numbers, mint, with no post war mark. Besides the date of manufacture of the rifle was compatible with the story that he told me. I saw the marking on the rail a year after buying the rifle..

Best regards

Hello,

Thanks for your answear.

So, with my friend who has the K43, we have measured our "square" marking length: They both mesures exactly 2,8mm (0,11 inches).

On my SVT40, there is an identical marking but smaller, a square with a diagonal line (Balkleya, 1th GRAU arsenal): it measures 2mm (0,07 inches).

On my 91/30, there is another "square" marking but larger and different: a square without line (Riga, 7th GRAU arsenal), it measures 3,8mm (0,14 inches).

Does someone has russian arms like SKS, SVT or 91/30 with "square" markings to measure it to compare?

It is strange that our 2 G43/K43 have exactly the same 2,8mm marking, and that the same on SVT40 is smaller.

Thank you for your help

Damien

Military Rifle Journal
Back