Third Party Press

1918 Erfurt Kar98 for a crappy rainy day

yellowkid

Quiet day with freezing rain out so I thought I'd post something. I'm mostly a kreigsmodell guy but I also collect Imperial field gear and the occasional rifle as well. Been meaning to share this since I found it on a table at Allentown a while back.

Attachments

• IMG_8076.jpg
    IMG_8076.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_8077.jpg
    IMG_8077.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_8079.jpg
    IMG_8079.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_8078.jpg
    IMG_8078.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 100
more

few more pics

Attachments

• IMG_8080.jpg
    IMG_8080.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_8082.jpg
    IMG_8082.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_8083.jpg
    IMG_8083.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_8084.jpg
    IMG_8084.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 86
last

last couple

Attachments

• IMG_8086.jpg
    IMG_8086.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_8087.jpg
    IMG_8087.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_8088.jpg
    IMG_8088.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_8089.jpg
    IMG_8089.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 54
Welcome back John!

Certainly a nice rifle, and that isn't as easy to find as one might imagine... Erfurt was the number one rifle producer of the war years, the only year they didn't outproduce everyone else was 1916 and even then they were very close to Danzig, moreover Danzig was practically a one item manufacturer, whereas Erfurt was killing it making pistols and MG's too. Really Erfurt's wartime productivity record was never matched until well into WWII by Mauser Oberndorf and I do not think Mauser made the diversity is such high numbers Erfurt managed. Though to be fair, Erfurt's quality left a great deal to be desired (the AEF translated a captured German document that complained of these problems with carbines), even though in Thuringia, I suspect some of the problems can be traced to the labor unrest rampant in nearby Saxony (one of Germany's most industrial regions at the time). If the unrest could spill over into traditional/conservative/catholic Bavaria when industry invaded the state, I do not see how it could have not been a factor in Erfurt at the time, - where (war) industry went, it took with it unrest. Probably why high quality at Mauser lingered beyond everyone else, they didn't rely upon the same type of men that everyone else did.

In 1918 Erfurt was the top rifle producer, about 330,000 carbines, which when compared to total G98 production in 1918 (440,000 rifles, nearly half made by Mauser) is a remarkable feat. Especially when adding P08 and MG.08/15 production. Danzig, no slouch, made 160,000 G98/K98's combined, though they made little else, but to be fair they were in transition to K98 production and this had to have a significant influence, - I believe these two production lines did not run independently, rather they replaced one another. The reasons why for another time.

Anyway, a lovely example, hard to find this nice, - a very common maker-date, but this is deceptive, most that one encounters have issues, of course this can be said of every maker-date, but this is more pronounced with Erfurt/17 & Erfurt/18, many show postwar service not surprisingly. The ones that are imperial are often sportered, i own one and when the stock is cut they make incredibly light hunting rifles... it is damn difficult to find one this matching with this nice of a stock, the acceptance is shocking clear, being walnut helps in this regard, - of the 6 s-blocks recorded with original stocks, 5 are walnut, but Erfurt used a lot of beech stocks in 1918 and as everyone knows beech does not strike as nice as walnut. Anyway, a little past half way in production for 1918, so not too late where many show postwar service. Not very scientific, but the numbers of police and property marked Erfurt/18's double after the u/v block, though they are pretty common throughout 1917 & 1918.

Regarding the pictures, can you photograph or confirm the right receiver C/B C/E C/B (as below); more importantly, the wrist (small of stock) acceptance, Erfurt is one of the few variables, meaning they can rotate and are not especially consistent. Generally they range between three, C/P, C/D or C/B, I think this is because they were pushing such high numbers and product. Most makers this is not the case, most are pretty damn consistent. If you have it handy a snapshot of the bolt handle acceptance (bottom flat opposite the bolt handle serial) would be helpful also. I own an sportered r-block, postwar but original matching bolt, so a little curious how close they are (though I trend this too, not too many take this view so limited data so far)

BTW, glad to see you around, glad you had a rainy day so you could visit!

Attachments

• MVC-113F.JPG
    MVC-113F.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 26
as requested

thanks for the reception and for all the information! this is more than i could have hoped to learn about this rifle -- really appreciate the perspective. I was very happy to pick this one up. have wanted a clean matching example for the Imperial display for a long time and particularly happy about the 1918 date. For some reason I have an affinity for 1918 and 1945 dated items! pics as requested.

Attachments

• IMG_8094.jpg
    IMG_8094.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_8099.jpg
    IMG_8099.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8104.jpg
    IMG_8104.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_8105.jpg
    IMG_8105.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 27
Thanks for the extra effort to do more pictures! Very helpful!

I too find 1918 and 1944-45 fascinating, though they are a product of one another, they are also very different. What is most disturbing about both catastrophes is that we have learned nothing from them.

I am glad you stopped by!

thanks for the reception and for all the information! this is more than i could have hoped to learn about this rifle -- really appreciate the perspective. I was very happy to pick this one up. have wanted a clean matching example for the Imperial display for a long time and particularly happy about the 1918 date. For some reason I have an affinity for 1918 and 1945 dated items! pics as requested.

Military Rifle Journal
Back