Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Commercial Gewehr 98ís

Default Commercial Gewehr 98ís

Okay, Iím finding next to nothing trying to search for information on these, so I figured Iíd ask here. I looked one of these over recently and keep thinking back on it. All I could ascertain from the rifle itself was that it was prewar given the commercial proofing convention which included the powder type on the LR, I believe that was dropped in 1912. It also had an unusual circle proof/mark that had something in script font inside it, on both the receiver and bolt handle I believe. None of the parts or components were serialed outside of the BR/bolt I do believe. The manufacturer legend, DWM I believe?? was on the receiver side rail. I know pictures are always helpful, but Iím having trouble locating them in the 34k pictures on my phone. Iím hoping/assuming by the description that someone can deduce what Iím talking about. Iím trying to find out any info as to when, why, and possibly how many are thought to have been produced.

Hereís one of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Question

Can't tell much without more pics. There was a pretty extensive cottage industry of such conversions after WWI. Quality ranges from the truly awful to excellent.

This isnít a conversion, and I believe it has to be pre WW1 given that the powder type (Gewehr Blštchen Pulver) is still stated with the receiver proofing. Itís in full military trim.

What type of sight? Caliber?...

Clay, there are others know in the same configuration please see the link of one that sold a few years ago. Paul will be able to give far better detail on this subject. Were there any markings on the stock?

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....commercial+gew

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flynaked View Post
    ..I believe it has to be pre WW1 given that the powder type (Gewehr Blštchen Pulver) is still stated with the receiver proofing. Itís in full military trim.
    This sounds interesting. At least to me.
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in spšteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie KŁssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben mŁssen"

Quote Originally Posted by mauser1908 View Post
    Clay, there are others know in the same configuration please see the link of one that sold a few years ago. Paul will be able to give far better detail on this subject. Were there any markings on the stock?

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....commercial+gew

How about that! This one is already listed in that thread. I seem to recall some kind of marking on the stock but I didnít take a picture apparently as Iím not seeing one. So it sounds like I was a little confused on these, I thought they were far more prevalent for some reason.

I don't know a whole lot about these but they are a neat variation, anyway neat piece clay
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet"

Major Robert Rogers 1757 Founder of the U.S Army Rangers

I have a commercial Gew 98 target rifle. Made in 1913. If this helps.