Third Party Press

Thread: Late war Byf trigger guards

Default Late war Byf trigger guards

Hey guys,

I am looking at purchasing a Byf45 locally. Unfortunately I do not have all my reference material with me and Iím mostly a J.P Sauer collector as many of you know. From what I know itís sitting in a kriegsmodell stock and itís all blued. The serial number is in the 358XX no letter block range (sorry I donít have the exact serial yet). The trigger guard has me a little suspicious because itís blued but the finish on it very worn compared to the rest of the rifle which has a fairly nice deep blue. The trigger guard is byf stamped with two E/135 and the floorplate appears to be unmarked. I may pick it up regardless because of the Kriegsmodell stock and the bore which is supposedly mint.

I guess my main question is when did Mauser ďOĒ start building rifles with triggerguards with no locking screw provision?

Was there a concrete cut-off point or do both kinds (with/without locking screws) of TGís appear to the end of production?

Thanks in advance

The non locking screw trigger guards start showing up fairly early in the byf44 l block serials and the locking screw trigger guards disappear around the same range.

At least from my limited data.
    WTB: Rough milled, blued, unnumbered floor plate as found on late MO rifles. Unnumbered MO bands, both KM and standard type, MO KM stocks including an unaccepted one, MO bands and stock 5897, upper band 0643

I have a C stock byf45 that came with a lock screw guard, all the screws and lock screws were phosphate. But generally they all have non-lock screw guards as JB points out, but I wouldn't change it if you though it was original.
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.