Third Party Press

DOT 1943 Opinions

ltong29

Possibly interested in this rifle. Numbers seem to match aside from rear sight leaf and slider. No idea if the stock and hand guard are DOT stamped or matching. Bands and floorplate/tg are matching, which leads to believe that they are. Thanks for any advice!

EDIT: Rifle is sold. No more need for advice

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 101
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 92
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 83
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
It was a pretty nice rifle. Stock and hand guard were dot marked, but had been lightly cleaned. Not a major loss if you didn’t get it.

When people say lightly cleaned, do they mean wiped down with a cloth and so or chemically cleaned?

When people say lightly cleaned, do they mean wiped down with a cloth and so or chemically cleaned?

Won't pretend to know what is meant by lightly cleaned either, but here there is a distinct difference between the bluing near the screws on the trigger guard and then two different shades on trigger guard and then floorplate. Looks like a chemical or brush was used, but definitely seems to be more than a rag. A simple wipe down with a dry rage would not in my opinion cause this level of difference in these finishes.

Here are the photos that led me to think cleaned. See the darkness in the letters and the softness to the edges? The hand guard “dot” (circled) is nearly illegible. Not sure what kind of cleaning causes this. Light steel wool?

Attachments

• 7D435F00-A567-4447-8746-63AD2A11E6D5.jpg
    7D435F00-A567-4447-8746-63AD2A11E6D5.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 8BF222A2-CADF-440A-8C26-8A32FC6DBDB5.jpg
    8BF222A2-CADF-440A-8C26-8A32FC6DBDB5.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 70
Looking at the bolt handle cutout the edges look pretty crisp. Seems to be quite correct. Any idea what it sold for?

Here are the photos that led me to think cleaned. See the darkness in the letters and the softness to the edges? The hand guard “dot” (circled) is nearly illegible. Not sure what kind of cleaning causes this. Light steel wool?

great tutorial Nate. These are the little things that will jump out at you once you know what to look for.. The difference between an experienced eye and rookie eye.

Studying photos here in the pick sticky threads alone will help train your eye to what's right and what's wrong.

I had watched this for several weeks, and then bought last night. This went through several GB cycles, and on the first cycle it did not have a receiver serial number show.... but the rear sight "9552" initially suggested to me that the rifles was a bolt mm....

But now, the sellers additional receiver pic on GB reveals the bolt matches. Nathan's additional pics were not on GB, and he also shared this serial in January when he first happened on to it. When it get's here, I can do more pics, if anyone really cares...

Sure, I'd like to see more/better photos. I'm positive I would have been a buyer at that price. Looks like a decent enough example, especially at that price point.

Same here. I would have been happy to take it at that BIN. I would like to see better photos also.

I had watched this for several weeks, and then bought last night. This went through several GB cycles, and on the first cycle it did not have a receiver serial number show.... but the rear sight "9552" initially suggested to me that the rifles was a bolt mm....

But now, the sellers additional receiver pic on GB reveals the bolt matches. Nathan's additional pics were not on GB, and he also shared this serial in January when he first happened on to it. When it get's here, I can do more pics, if anyone really cares...

Don't know why, but when he said it sold I wondered if it was you! Maybe because it was a dot with walnut stock?

The stock was throwing me off. As was mentioned earlier, Nathan's DOT stock pictures were not included with the original auction and I hesitated. You live and learn...

$825 BIN? I guess he should have taken the $800 I offered. He said he was going to try and get over $1000 for it to me, but put a BIN of $825. That guy didn’t play this one well.

Attachments

• wood.4.jpg
    wood.4.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 24
  • wood.5.jpg
    wood.5.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 22
  • wood.6.jpg
    wood.6.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 19
  • wood.7.jpg
    wood.7.jpg