Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1940 Borsigwalde Navy k98k Help Needed

Default 1940 Borsigwalde Navy k98k Help Needed

Hello,
    I'm going to be looking at a 1940, code 243 k98k for sale locally in the next week or so and need some help. Seller tells me by phone its matching numbers "t" suffix and has an eagle M on stock but stock discs have no "N" or "O" numbers. Could this be correct for late 1940? I can't find any solid info concerning when stock disc numbering was discontinued by Kriegsmarine.

I do have a copy of Karabiner 98k vol II, haven't found answer there. Any advice or red flags would be very helpful.

If seller will allow, I'll try to take some photos and post. Given that seller is not computer savvy and over the phone he won't tell me the serial number other than it is four digits followed by letter "t", I have my doubts.

Thanks, Bob

Hey Buddy, is that an E/4 in your pocket?

If it has the M designation, chances are it will not be marked on the discs as it was already designated as a Navy rifle. When you see ostsee or nordsee designation on the discs it generally means it has an Army "H" on the butt, THEN diverted to the Navy with a disc designation. Not with both.

Super Over the Top Moderator -1/2 bruce98k's Avatar

Default Naval acceptance stamps

Dave most of the early Navy rifles are property marked on the disk, including Army diverts.
    Not until later in 1941 did the application of disk property marks cease.

If its a 40 dated Navy rifle, chances are it should have a property mark on the disk.
    ---- Turbo Myš ----

My Ar41 had just the N on the disc. No fleet #. There is a chance there could be an N or O on the butt plate.

I wouldn't kick it out of bed for lacking a fleet marking. The chances of the disc being changed is slim to none IMHO

Hello Bob,

this could be a original Kriegsmarine rifle, it would suit to my observations.

I hope you can take some photos and post them here, then we can say more about the rifle.

Regards,
    Stephan

Quote Originally Posted by bruce98k View Post
    Dave most of the early Navy rifles are property marked on the disk, including Army diverts.
    Not until later in 1941 did the application of disk property marks cease.

If its a 40 dated Navy rifle, chances are it should have a property mark on the disk.
    Bruce,

Would it have both the "M" butt marking AND the disc marking? Or either/or?

Mailman just dropped off my "second" Ostsee marked bSw stock. Army accepted with KM disc.

DSC05017.jpgDSC05018.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mowzerluvr View Post
    Mailman just dropped off my "second" Ostsee marked bSw stock. Army accepted with KM disc.

DSC05017.jpgDSC05018.jpg
    Very cool, great find!!

Super Over the Top Moderator -1/2 bruce98k's Avatar

Default Kriegsmarine acceptance

Our forum member Stephan has done an incredible job along with Andrew in compiling data on the naval issued K98ks.
    By late 1940, the property numbers for the North sea group were eliminated and the disk was stamped with a simple 'N'.
    The property numbers for the Ost or east region were eliminated by 1940 according to Stephan's research.

With respect to Mauser Berlin Borsigwalde (243 and ar codes), the property numbers ended in the early 'o' block of 1940 production.

I am sure that he can comment further on this situation given the fact that he and Andrew did the bulk of the research and serial number gathering.

By late 1941, the application of Naval acceptance markings to K98ks ended. Depending on the manufacturer, the final serial number ranges vary.
    ---- Turbo Myš ----

My confusion lays where there are two different ways of marking. The "disc" marking and the actual "M" marking on the wood. I sold a beauty of a stock to flynaked last year. It was a laminate/cupped E/26 with a very nice "M" near the disc. The OP said the rifle he is interested in is reported to have the "M" marking but no O or N on the disc. My original reply was that it would not have both the "M" AND disc markings. This is correct ?