Third Party Press

Thread: Strange Mauser 1914

Default Strange Mauser 1914

Hello, I'm new to the forum and figured I'd see if anyone here may have seen a Mauser 1914 similar to this example. Its marked GP76 on the left side of the frame, as well as having an interesting lanyard loop arrangement. I haven't been able to locate a similar example anywhere on the internet and am curious to figure out more about who or what this "GP76" is. As well as to figure out the strange lanyard loop.
    Attached Images Attached Images

In the book “History Writ in Steel” GP is referenced as meaning Grenz Polizei, or border police. Also mentioned is a Mauser 1914 that is marked GP 73 but no photo is provided. Don’t know anything about the lanyard loop.

Regards,
    Mike

When I see added lanyard loops I always think postwar police use, but I’m not sure if this was a ww1/Weimar era thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfarb View Post
    When I see added lanyard loops I always think postwar police use, but I’m not sure if this was a ww1/Weimar era thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I had assumed the lanyard ring was added by a police or military organization. Seeing as it would be quite odd for "bubba" to add one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
    In the book “History Writ in Steel” GP is referenced as meaning Grenz Polizei, or border police. Also mentioned is a Mauser 1914 that is marked GP 73 but no photo is provided. Don’t know anything about the lanyard loop.

Regards,
    Mike
    Thanks for the info! I would assume the 76 in this case could be like a regimental number? Or a rack number perhaps?