Third Party Press

Need help “unsporterizing” (rear sight base help)

Rich427

Hello,

I picked up a BYF45 K98 that someone sporterized. It had a scope and front and rear sights removed. I bought some of the parts I will need.

I put the new rear sight base on and it is very loose. I understand these get soldered on but this thing can practically spin around... I put the screw for the base in but there is no hole for the screw in the barrel? Not very familiar with Mausers. Thanks

..I put the new rear sight base on and it is very loose. I understand these get soldered on but this thing can practically spin around... I put the screw for the base in but there is no hole for the screw in the barrel? Not very familiar with Mausers. Thanks

That almost sounds like the barrel was swapped? Pics of any marks on the barrel would certainly help.

image.jpg
That almost sounds like the barrel was swapped? Pics of any marks on the barrel would certainly help.

Here’s a picture of a marking on the barrel. Looks like a crown?

Edit: Not good. Just took it all apart to look at barrel. It is marked on bottom “30 06”.

Last edited:
The rear sight base was re-solder on to the barrel after the new 30-06 barrel was installed. I believe Norway changed out their captured k98's initial to 30-06 and then later to NATO 308. I'm really not sure about the 308 change over. I think you should look around for a gunsmith only to confirm the current caliber of ammo for your rifle. If this is a Norway modification they may have changed out the rear sight because of the new ammo. However, I'm not sure if this was also changed out.

went on line and found this:

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/norwegian-k98kf1-repurposed-mauser/

Last edited:
Is the rear sight sleeve flush with the barrel where it sits against the step in the barrel? You say there's no hole for the locating screw?

Is the rear sight sleeve flush with the barrel where it sits against the step in the barrel? You say there's no hole for the locating screw?

Correct, there is no hole for the sight base locating screw. Same situation for front sight, no hole. Pretty positive the sight is in the correct position just too loose and I’m thinking now because the barrel is smaller diameter for the 30-06?

Should i try and locate a rear sight for a Norwegian converted Mauser barrel?

Correct, there is no hole for the sight base locating screw. Same situation for front sight, no hole. Pretty positive the sight is in the correct position just too loose and I’m thinking now because the barrel is smaller diameter for the 30-06?

Should i try and locate a rear sight for a Norwegian converted Mauser barrel?
the outside diameter of the Norwegian barrel should be within a couple thousandths of an inch of a regular german barrel, the solder should fill the gap. When i replaced a barrel on an RC this past summer what we did to drill the locating holes for the sights was set up the completed barreled action in a vise on the mill with some setup blocks and used an edge finder to find the exact center of the barrel at the very top and drilled our holes. Id imagine you'll have to have a smith do a similar thing. Once the holes were done I soldered the bases in place with plumbing solder and made sure they were aligned with the holes. screws went right in.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Military Rifle Journal
Back