Third Party Press
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for those Gew 98 serial number scolars

Remember seeing this rifle at the SOS show it was one hell of a piece. And as Mike is stated I could think of nobody better to own a rifle from Craig Brown's collection. By the way it was good talking to you again Jeff on Imperial weapons. Even though the show was lacking in gewehr 98 rifles I did come home with a great book on the Gew88. Not to mention Mike found some really scarce commission 88 muzzle covers for me as well. He keeps telling me he's old but he was able to spot those out of case that I didn't see. So it's plainly obvious his vision is probably better than mine still finding cool items
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet"

Major Robert Rogers 1757 Founder of the U.S Army Rangers

Everyone, I really appreciate your endorsements for me being the caretaker of one of Craig's prizes. This rifle sold at Amoskeag Auction #113 March 25/26 2017. The description says it is from the Craig Brown collection. The auction is still viewable on Amoskeag's web site for those inclined. I have never owned a sniper and it seemed like the perfect storm. I would like to say my life is complete at this point but I am sure something else will surface. Again, thank you for your kind words.

Would you mind sharing a picture showing the scope bases (with scope removed) from top? Thanks!

If it this one,
    http://www.amoskeagauction.com/113/120.php
    rifle and bases look ok, but scope is fake.

Amberg, I would sure like to hear more about the fake scope?

Thanks for the link. Appears to be the same rifle. I was mainly wondering on the obvious differently aged surface (rear base is much brighter and does not have the same patina as the front base and rifle), as well as the not usual near perfect German gunsmithing you find on these rifles with the improper fitting with such a large gap between the base and the receiver:

The additional pictures shown in the link also illustrate that the screws of the rear base do not align as perfect as on the front base, plus the same difference in finish on the rear base from a different angle:

Could it be that this rifle was missing the rear base and had been restored?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Amberg View Post
    If it this one,
    http://www.amoskeagauction.com/113/120.php
    rifle and bases look ok, but scope is fake.
    "fake" is a pretty large word to toss around, similar to "mint" I've seen occasionally on the site.

I note what Absolut points out regarding the rear base, and possibly is a replacement, as is the scope. If the scope was #'d to the rifle then that would raise suspicions, but it's not. Most all of these snipers we see have a m/m scope. All that being said, if the base & scope are replacements but the scope is not #'d to the rifle, imho, that rules out "fake". Of course this is just my opinion....
    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war"

George Santayana

I guess he either referred to a Oigee scope in these rings, the engravings on the scope, the scope rings themselves or a combination of this a fake. But I'm sure he will let us know.

Well, the lined-out number on the scope matches the stamped serial numbers on the rings. The rings fit the mounts perfectly. As tight as one could expect. Two of my experts besides Feldmutze saw this piece and were perfectly happy with the rig.
    Last edited by Jeff Noll; 03-06-2019 at 11:49 AM.

I can't tell much wrong on the scope or on the scope rings, but I'm also not the expert as Amberg is on Gew98 sniper rifles. I'm sure he will let you know what he meant.

It would however be appreciated if you could tell me what your experts said on what I pointed out on the rear scope base. What is visible in the pictures make it look suspicious, or at least replaced with another original part.