Third Party Press
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for those Gew 98 serial number scolars

Default Question for those Gew 98 serial number scolars

I recently picked-up a post 1916 Gew 98. The receiver maker/date is obscured but serial number is 9885hh. The rifle has the look and feel of a DANZIG. My question is which makers ever got up to the hh suffix?

Jeff, do you have photos of the right receiver acceptance and firing proof? Danzig went past the hh block in 1917 so it very well could be.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Noll View Post
    I recently picked-up a post 1916 Gew 98. The receiver maker/date is obscured but serial number is 9885hh. The rifle has the look and feel of a DANZIG. My question is which makers ever got up to the hh suffix?

Please do when you get time Jeff. By the way it was good seeing you last week at the SOS show hope you were able to find some nice Gew 98 rifles to take home with you. I personally only found three at the whole show. Two Turk Gew 98 rifles and one other Gew 98 that had its stock refinished. I did find two cool Kar98a carbines though.
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet"

Major Robert Rogers 1757 Founder of the U.S Army Rangers

It is my feeling that the rifle is a 1917 DANZIG. Here is a photo of the right side of the receiver. The reason the maker/date is obscured is obvious.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It didn't register with me when I checked my spreadsheet because I had it recorded wrong from the spread of photos I have. I had it recorded 6885hh. But I have actually trended this rifle for it's Gl.V. feature prior to you posting it here. It is a beautiful rifle! Danzig 1917 with out a doubt. Really good looking gun from the photos I have, great find! For reference here is a 'v' block Danzig 1917 I used to own, same acceptance pattern.

IMG_1173.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Noll View Post
    It is my feeling that the rifle is a 1917 DANZIG. Here is a photo of the right side of the receiver. The reason the maker/date is obscured is obvious.

Sam is right, beyond question this is a Danzig/17, the RR tells you this, - that and the hh-block is a snipe range for Danzig (seemingly rifles group in ranges and two other are known in the hh-block, one of which was CB's old rifle, another is owned by a well known contributor here)

As for how many makers broke the hh-block:

Spandau/1916
    Danzig 1916 and 1917
    DWM/1916

No other maker/dates, though Mauser came close in 1916 & 1917.

Quote Originally Posted by Loewe View Post
    Sam is right, beyond question this is a Danzig/17, the RR tells you this, - that and the hh-block is a snipe range for Danzig (seemingly rifles group in ranges and two other are known in the hh-block, one of which was CB's old rifle, another is owned by a well known contributor here)

As for how many makers broke the hh-block:

Spandau/1916
    Danzig 1916 and 1917
    DWM/1916

No other maker/dates, though Mauser came close in 1916 & 1917.
    Jeff's rifle is CB's old rifle. I'm glad he's the new caretaker.
    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war"

George Santayana

I should include Erfurt also, they blew the hh-block 1916 & 1917 and breached the hh-block in 1918. But, these are 98a figures, records that weren't broken until Mauser did it in 1943. (Brno did as well in 1944, though Brno's figures include both factories and I am not sure if either facility actually broke Erfurt's total for 1917 individually... Over 700,000 rifles in 1944, but I doubt either actually beat Erfurt's 1917 total of more than 470,000 rifles)

That's good to know!

I can't think of a better caretaker of CB's old sniper rifle (I think he had a couple/three, his hh-block was 9885/hh, Craig also owned 2689/hh, non-sniper, an upgraded G98); I have his list somewhere, but I recall it had more than one for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by feldmütze View Post
    Jeff's rifle is CB's old rifle. I'm glad he's the new caretaker.

Yes, I compared Jeff's photograph to CB's rifle and the damage around the cross bolt is identical. This is for sure CB's old rifle.