Third Party Press

Thread: Turkish Ammunition, is it safe?

Default Turkish Ammunition, is it safe?

I have a little bit of 8mm Turkish Ammunition and it’s my understand that it’s extremely dangerous in auto loaders and may not be safe for bolt guns. What’s the deal? Is it safe for bolt guns or should I disassemble and reload the cases?

7B7828A6-2A24-4F79-A1B9-144EBE922727.jpg

Default turk ammo

Strictly for what it's worth.
    I have a fair amount of it and have shot in my bolt guns. It feels fairly hot but consistant. I pulled down couple hundred rounds to reduce the charges 5 or 6 grains to reduce the recoil some and while I was at it I weighed probably a hundred charges. I was amazed to find none that were more than a grain more or less than any others. Neck sized and put back together they all shoot fine.
    Much has been written about that ammo. Cracked necks, too hot, inconsistent, blowing up, guns, etc. Also said it depends on the year of manufacture.
    I'd have to look to see what year mine is but other than "feeling" a bit hot as received I find no problem with it.
    Pete

Skip, your photo shows Ecuadoran 8mm, FWIW.
    For My Fallen Brothers:
    WW 2001
    WS 2004
    MD 2009
    JH 2009
    ER 2009
    DS 2009
    DN 2009
    WB 2014

Never Forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Skip, your photo shows Ecuadoran 8mm, FWIW.
    I had no idea, when I ordered it in 1998 it was supposed to be Turkish ammo. I should do better research.
    Thank you

I picked up several hundred rounds sometime back. It does seem hot, I've only used in 98s.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    I had no idea, when I ordered it in 1998 it was supposed to be Turkish ammo. I should do better research.
    Thank you
    No worries at all, just wanted to make sure you had the right pic.
    Best,
    Pat
    For My Fallen Brothers:
    WW 2001
    WS 2004
    MD 2009
    JH 2009
    ER 2009
    DS 2009
    DN 2009
    WB 2014

Never Forgotten.

The Turk 154 grain is a copy of German WWI type S ammo . Some of it may be a little hot due to storage or quality control on some lots . The split necks are due to poor quality control on the brass . It is not as "hot "as people think . On average all the lots I tested ran from 2880 to 3020 in several Gew98's . Some of my original 1916 German ran 2940 fps . An extra 80 fps will not hurt a large ring M-98 rifle in good condition . S ammo was designed to be fired in Gew-88's , and a lot was in WWI . I have never found any reports of massive failures of Gew-88's in WWI use . Remember the German military could not accurately test velocity back then , so their published figures can be off . None of the common semi-auto rifles were designed to use S ammo . They were set up for Ss ammo which has a different pressure curve .

Default Turk Ammo

I bought 10,000 rounds when the stuff was cheap years back. Have remade some of it into 7.92x33 Kurz. Downloaded some for my 8mm bolt guns. The stuff seems pretty hot to me. While I've never actually done any specific tests I'd be careful in regards to semi-auto guns. Must still have 9000 rounds left. Just one more thing for the kids to put on the estate auction!

Default 8mm ammo

Quote Originally Posted by mnguy62 View Post
    I bought 10,000 rounds when the stuff was cheap years back. Have remade some of it into 7.92x33 Kurz. Downloaded some for my 8mm bolt guns. The stuff seems pretty hot to me. While I've never actually done any specific tests I'd be careful in regards to semi-auto guns. Must still have 9000 rounds left. Just one more thing for the kids to put on the estate auction!
    Interesting. Did you use the same powder over?
    What about the bullets? Looked to me that the bullets would fall into the cases due to the taper of them if seated in far enough to fit in a mag.
    I assume you had to inside ream the cases after shortening and reforming.
    I've done hundreds but use Boxer .308 cases since I have many of them.
    Got too many Radway Green cases to count but seems a waste to go thru the work of conversion and have to deal with Berdan.
    Pete