Third Party Press
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VK98, safety wont engage

If another bolt works in it thatís a good sign probably not a sear issue. Thatís not to say there couldnít be a dimensional issue on the cocking piece. Does the shroud screw in and then stop solid or does it get progressively tighter like itís going into an under bored hole? Sometimes the aft shank of the bolt (where the camming surface is) can be slightly off dimensionally and not fit within the shroud, typically not an issue between K98 bolts but we are talking about Steyr here so anything is possible. A lot of VG5 parts are worse than the later standard KM rifles which did have to go through army inspections after all.

I know what you mean about the rifle, they are cool. I had a similarly sanded one and it eventually drove me crazy so I sold it haha. If you happen to take it apart, please let me know if you note any markings inside the stock. Is the MR XE present on the wrist or sanded off?

Check out this VK bolt for instance! Granted it was as actually initially rejected, but pretty crazy forging flaw.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think the shroud does actually screw in far enough. To the naked eye it appears to have a tiny bit more space between it and the receiver when put together and installed in the rifle compared to the other bolt but that could just be a matter of dimensions or tolerances between factories.

After tearing it apart last night I think the main problem is the little corner of the safety which was crudely ground down at that angle could use just a tiny bit of filing so itíll clear the cocking piece

I could even try to throw the striker assembly from another rifle into this bolt when I have time to do so. Mauser bolts just arenít much fun to disassemble and reassemble when you havenít practiced them much

Quote Originally Posted by flynaked View Post
    Check out this VK bolt for instance! Granted it was as actually initially rejected, but pretty crazy forging flaw.
    Little details like that dont matter when the russians are 300 meters away

I get a kick out of the fact that the VK98 were counter bored, probably because its quicker than putting a nice crown on the muzzle

Quote Originally Posted by builttoughf350 View Post
    Little details like that dont matter when the russians are 300 meters away

I get a kick out of the fact that the VK98 were counter bored, probably because its quicker than putting a nice crown on the muzzle
    They were counter bored because when you weld the front sight on it damages the rifling in the barrel, and it was easier than soldering an actual front sight on, or I guess it was in their eyes.
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Quote Originally Posted by flynaked View Post

You need to check the sear as well on this rifle, if it’s been ground or honed it may not be holding the cocking piece back far enough to allow the safety to engage.

That's always the most likely cause, and the first thing to check. Photos show this area of the safety to be extremely worn. It shouldn't be. The safety should neatly cam into the striker housing, and it's not doing it. Finding a safety and housing that work together properly is going to be largely a matter of luck.

I've never had this problem with an original all matching rifle in nice shape. We forget that each of these rifles was originally built by one highly trained individual who had a great deal of training and experience in fitting.

The American philosophy during the same time period was complete interchangeability. No parts fitting or reworking was allowed. If something failed to gauge or function properly, it was scrapped, likely along with the entire lot. The cause was then investigated and corrected. No substandard parts were allowed into the supply chain.
    Last edited by tsmgguy; 03-04-2019 at 10:51 AM.
    Wanted: K98 Dou-42 bolt 5235b, and Port. bayonet G19383

Quote Originally Posted by mrfarb View Post
    They were counter bored because when you weld the front sight on it damages the rifling in the barrel, and it was easier than soldering an actual front sight on, or I guess it was in their eyes.
    Crazy ! Good to know thanks

Banned

I love this thread