Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Question on Astrawerke receivers

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    16

    Default Question on Astrawerke receivers

    I have a question, and hopefully I can find an answer. Astrawerke receivers supplying the manufacturers of the LSR are all marked BCD (Almost exclusively) when they're found on correct rifles. This couldn't have been something done at the Astrawerke factory? Is it perhaps that Astrawerke shipped receivers to Gustloff Werke, who then in turn did some sort of machining and shipped the receivers to Sauer? Otherwise, why would Sauer mark their receivers BCD, there would be no reason to not mark the receivers CE.

    Does anyone know if Sauer receivers were shipped back to Gustloff once production ceased, and Sauer began production of MP44s?

    Thanks!
    Sayer

  2. #2
    No War Eagles For You! mrfarb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    7,059

    Default Question on Astrawerke receivers

    Question is a bit convoluted. Astrawerke sent finished receivers to Sauer who used them as is. At the end of Sauer production they used everything up, didnít send any to Gustloff. Astrawerke sent finished receivers to Gustloff. Gustloff took over the LSR mantle from Sauer.

    The rifle you are asking about is not a Sauer rifle, 5 digit serial number absolutely confirms itís Gustloff and itís been refinished. Good photos have been shown here, and others have had hands on inspection of it. Itís a refinished original Gustloff LSR, thatís why nobody wants it. It should be phosphate.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrfarb View Post
    Question is a bit convoluted. Astrawerke sent finished receivers to Sauer who used them as is. At the end of Sauer production they used everything up, didnít send any to Gustloff. Astrawerke sent finished receivers to Gustloff. Gustloff took over the LSR mantle from Sauer.

    The rifle you are asking about is not a Sauer rifle, 5 digit serial number absolutely confirms itís Gustloff and itís been refinished. Good photos have been shown here, and others have had hands on inspection of it. Itís a refinished original Gustloff LSR, thatís why nobody wants it. It should be phosphate.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Perhaps years on the forums causes people to become jaded. My question wasnt about my specific rifle in particular, and furthermore the knowledge is what I am after. I was asking if Asteawerke supplied these receivers to sauer with BCD already coded on them. Also, I dont dispute the five digit serial number, or even that gustloff was the final manufacturer. I am trying to figure out why there are sauer acceptance proofs on my receiver.

    Even in these blurry photos, when zoomed you can clearly see the presence of the WaA 37 on the right side of the receiver, and the eagle on the left side of the receiver. (Sauer acceptance) the waffenamt on the top of the receiver is too difficult to see.


    http://imgur.com/gallery/ssQrqDP

    ^ Zoomed photos of acceptance marks. I have also searched high and low for the discussion you mention of this rifle and have found none.

  4. #4
    No War Eagles For You! mrfarb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    7,059

    Default

    Ok, well no, there are no known examples of Sauer inspected receivers used at Gustloff. Could it happen? I would never say no because anything is possible.

    However, if the top final is e/37 then the rifle was finished at Sauer, and if it has a 5 digit serial then the rifle would be rebarreled.
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrfarb View Post
    Ok, well no, there are no known examples of Sauer inspected receivers used at Gustloff. Could it happen? I would never say no because anything is possible.

    However, if the top final is e/37 then the rifle was finished at Sauer, and if it has a 5 digit serial then the rifle would be rebarreled.
    The entire weapon is matching, fonts are correct as well. the receiver is the only thing that is sauer stamped. If someone faked it, or built it, I have trouble believing that anyone would take an all matching rifle and swap out the receiver (when a gustloff BCD 4 receiver is already correct) I have never seen an all matching k98 for sale without the receiver. I've seen plenty of barreled actions missing parts, but never an all matching rifle without a receiver. Or am I mistaken in this assumption?

  6. #6
    Senior Member flynaked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Not far enough from Dallas
    Posts
    1,760

    Default

    The rifle you linked is a Sauer, they came pre roll marked to Gustloff. I believe the only other possible roll mark is ce43 during their R&D. I believe you are talking about two rifles at once?

  7. #7
    No War Eagles For You! mrfarb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    7,059

    Default

    Iíve seen bare lsr receivers swapped into non lsr rifles to build a fake. So, yeah, seen it. Snipers are a cesspool of villainy.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

  8. #8
    Beavis the Cornholio mdarnell19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    1,215

    Default

    It is also possible that someone added fake Sauer proofs to the receiver to make it look like a Sauer rifle. Sauer LSRs bring more money then Gustloff.

    Post clear pictures of the receiver markings

  9. #9
    RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Kavallerie-Regiment 15, Paderborn
    Posts
    3,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mdarnell19 View Post
    It is also possible that someone added fake Sauer proofs to the receiver to make it look like a Sauer rifle. Sauer LSRs bring more money then Gustloff.

    Post clear pictures of the receiver markings
    Yes, well as Mike said about cesspools and such. Being every inspection is now available as fakes it takes a broad perspective on any rifle to determine validity. That's just the nature of the game in 2019
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in spšteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie KŁssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben mŁssen"

  10. #10
    Is that a scope you have in your pocket?
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heavy_mech View Post
    Yes, well as Mike said about cesspools and such. Being every inspection is now available as fakes it takes a broad perspective on any rifle to determine validity. That's just the nature of the game in 2019
    Even more when its a German Sniper Rifle . Specially with the Monetary gains that can be had .

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •