Third Party Press

Possible German-use VZ-24

ltong29

Picked up another possible German-used VZ-24, this time with intact lion crest. Rear sling point has been removed and the holes filled. I realize the rear band is missing the screw and is installed backwards... Opinions?
fCVUmaEh.jpg

T4CbGVkh.jpg

Ex4tcVrh.jpg

EPsRG3yh.jpg

eGDBxvhh.jpg

zyw9ZjZh.jpg

EYeuw9Fh.jpg

OL5iztWh.jpg

Last edited:
Based on the modification to the pistol grip area where it originally had a side swivel I would say it was done by the Germans during the war. Other than the serial numbers shown in your photos, is anything else numbered?

Based on the modification to the pistol grip area where it originally had a side swivel I would say it was done by the Germans during the war. Other than the serial numbers shown in your photos, is anything else numbered?

Nothing else is numbered. Is there any info on how these rifles were collected and distributed to the soldiers within the various Heer and SS units? There seems to be a wide variation on configurations for these captured rifles. Some have external markings while others don't.

I don't know any specific information regarding them. Very few were marked by depots. Many show minimal signs of German use, like yours. Other signs would be blued bolts, German firing pin disassembly disks installed, stock modified for side sling, additional numbered parts, bottom swivels removed from lower bands, and various forms of removing the bottom swivels from the bottom of the buttstock near the buttplate.

What Pisgah said. It's a very typical German modified Vz.24, so technically it is a G.24(t) in German inventory. These were done by depots and marked as such and modifications done at the higher level armorer / waffenmeister level. If you look at period pics both Heer and WSS can be seen using them. Some are obviously straight up unmodified Czech captures. The common and consistent mods are the removed and plugged wrist swivel and blued bolt. After that, the numbering of parts, the lower band mods (or not), vary.

Pretty cool! My reworked Vz.23 also has an "X" in the wrist area though that could be a Czech thing for all I know.

..The common and consistent mods are the removed and plugged wrist swivel and blued bolt. After that, the numbering of parts, the lower band mods (or not), vary.

I have to agree from what I've seen. That would appear to be the base level mods and they go up (and vary) wildly from there. It's quite the topic and several members have many examples with the whole gamut of mods. A very interesting topic IMHO.

Thanks for the feedback. It seems like there's a wide variation with these rifles. Out of the 3 German modified guns, there's a bunch of differences.

Ulm VZ-98/22 to VZ-24 depot build
Rebarreled with 1938 VZ-24 barrel with Nazi firing proof
Magazine holds open on empty
Rear sling point removed
Numbers added to front band, magazine floor plate
Takedown disk added to stock

1926 VZ-24
Magazine holds open on empty
Rear sling point removed
Side swivel removed from rear band

1937 VZ-24
Rear sling point removed