Third Party Press

stumped!

MAUSERGUY

Hey,nice to be here! came across a Mauser the other day that has got me really puzzled. seral number is on the side rail, no manufacturer info. crest has been scrubbed, not enough left to i.d. it. the only mark that consistently appears is four diamonds, like the points of a compass. caliber is written "cal. 7.92" in script, rather than printed. The diamond stamp appears on the buttplate, receiver ring, and gas shield. Any clues would be helpful. TIA!

I agree with Flynaked. It sounds like a Spanish mauser m43 in 8mm mauser. My brother has one and it has the same symbol on the metal hardware. Is the bolt straight or bent?

I agree with Flynaked. It sounds like a Spanish mauser m43 in 8mm mauser. My brother has one and it has the same symbol on the metal hardware. Is the bolt straight or bent?

thanks,guys. I'm familiar with the Spanish Mausers that are 93-95's, and this one is a real live cock on opening 98. bolt is bent, forgot to mention that there is a number about half way down the barrel, around the circumference of the barrel, not stamped parallel, which is not the serial number. I'll have to dig out my Ball book and look up the 43. Do we think that the diamond mark is an inspector stamp? your help is greatly appreciated,I learn something new every day!

thanks,guys. I'm familiar with the Spanish Mausers that are 93-95's, and this one is a real live cock on opening 98. bolt is bent, forgot to mention that there is a number about half way down the barrel, around the circumference of the barrel, not stamped parallel, which is not the serial number. I'll have to dig out my Ball book and look up the 43. Do we think that the diamond mark is an inspector stamp? your help is greatly appreciated,I learn something new every day!

You guys are right on the money, it is a 1943 Spanish; since I'm at work, I googled it, and viewed several pics to confirm the model. It has grasping grooves and the sling opening has been filled in, but it all matches! Unfortunately it has been "sporterized, but the action itself appears to be very sound, and it should live at my house! Many thanks again.

Military Rifle Journal
Back