Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Factory replaced rear sight... A hypothesis.

Default Factory replaced rear sight... A hypothesis.

Since this is a research/ data collection forum.... here's a new one. This L-block dot 1943 is a matched rifle, yet the rear sight has a different number. The rear sight is vintage 1943 Brunn in font and numbering location.

The reason I suspect it's a factory replacement is the base is numbered per Brunn, but there is a "2" below the 9552. I have never seen a "2" beneath the sn like this before. Thinking here of rebarrels with the 0,2.

Seems like the possibility of Bubba changing out this rear sight is about zero, IMO. If he/she did, the fit is perfect, the rear sight is Brunn '43 vintage, and the "2" beneath the serial is coming from who?
    Attached Images Attached Images

email => K98@bobinohio.com

I like your theory, but I'm not so sure about your "2" idea. So we know the way these were made, after test firing the rifles were either passed or returned to the workshops for adjustment. So, here's my theory - lets say the rifle doesn't pass accuracy test, and the rear sight components are the suspect. Tech swaps rear sight components out and sends it back for testing. The factory workshops were under tremendous pressure to get a certain number of weapons finished per day, there is even a column in the report about rifles sent back for repair and how long they were there. So, anyway, the sight is swapped out with another rifle with similar issues (note how close in serial they are). It's very possible that this was just a factory repair for a final inspection accuracy issue.

Now, you and I both know, buy the gun not the story. So in effect (for collectors) you have a mismatched rear sight dot43. You lose some value, but to someone that can see the big picture of 98k manufacturing it's a blip on the radar screen. Is it possible the "2" indicates it's replaced? I guess, but that isn't the usual mechanism for replaced components.
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrfarb View Post
    ..lets say the rifle doesn't pass accuracy test, and the rear sight components are the suspect. Tech swaps rear sight components out and sends it back for testing. The factory workshops were under tremendous pressure to get a certain number of weapons finished per day.
    I totally buy this story... in fact if that solved the problem I also probably would not even swap them back. And yes the font is spot on and the rifles are very close in s/n.
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

I like your theory, but I'm not so sure about your "2" idea. So we know the way these were made, after test firing the rifles were either passed or returned to the workshops for adjustment. So, here's my theory - lets say the rifle doesn't pass accuracy test, and the rear sight components are the suspect. Tech swaps rear sight components out and sends it back for testing. The factory workshops were under tremendous pressure to get a certain number of weapons finished per day, there is even a column in the report about rifles sent back for repair and how long they were there. So, anyway, the sight is swapped out with another rifle with similar issues (note how close in serial they are). It's very possible that this was just a factory repair for a final inspection accuracy issue.

Now, you and I both know, buy the gun not the story. So in effect (for collectors) you have a mismatched rear sight dot43. You lose some value, but to someone that can see the big picture of 98k manufacturing it's a blip on the radar screen. Is it possible the "2" indicates it's replaced? I guess, but that isn't the usual mechanism for replaced components.
    The factory swap for accuracy correction is a good hypothesis for sure.... So let's go with that as our working hypothesis.... but how then do we explain the second "2" ... it seems plausible that event 1 (the swap) creates event 2 (the "2").

Quote Originally Posted by Bob in OHIO View Post
    The factory swap for accuracy correction is a good hypothesis for sure.... So let's go with that as our working hypothesis.... but how then do we explain the second "2" ... it seems plausible that event 1 (the swap) creates event 2 (the "2").
    If you could find other examples of late dot43/44 rifles with mismatched rear sight components that were very close in serial to the rifle, which also had the "2" marking, you might convince me and others. So you have a research project now!
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

If you could find other examples of late dot43/44 rifles with mismatched rear sight components that were very close in serial to the rifle, which also had the "2" marking, you might convince me and others. So you have a research project now!
    We do have one data point, and agree that we need to find another data point to increase our degrees-of-freedom. It gives us all something to look for. The "2" is anomalous, and have never observed that on the many dots I have owned w/ a matched rear sight. Similarly, have never observed a numbers mm rear sight on a dot before.

A much more mundane idea but could it be that the “2” was woefully misstamped on the first try? Lol

Are there any antecedents to the '2' shown on Vz.24 rear sight blades? Just wondering if this is an example of carry-over, but for a (still) unknown reason.

Pat
    For My Fallen Brothers:
    WW 2001
    WS 2004
    MD 2009
    JH 2009
    ER 2009
    DS 2009
    DN 2009
    WB 2014

Never Forgotten.

Have to wonder if it might be a marking to denote what end of the tolerance spectrum it might be for elevation purposes. Kind of like front sight blades have a numbered height marking on the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by flynaked View Post
    Have to wonder if it might be a marking to denote what end of the tolerance spectrum it might be for elevation purposes. Kind of like front sight blades have a numbered height marking on the bottom.
    I looked at about ten dot 1943/4s this morning and all have the correct sn, and nothing else on that base plate. It's period done... but related to the sight swap?? Could be others out there to find, but likely a needle in the 'stack. Whatever it represents, the combo is worth noting...