Third Party Press
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: #1 on the bucket list finally bought: K43 AC44

Tiger 2 Tank,
    Thank you for the information. The stock does have some light mill marks in places. The most easily photographed is just aft of the sling slot in the stock. I took some additional photos of the receiver area of the stock. Not sure if the top 1/4" had broken off at some point but it looks pretty natural, not something that was done recently. The recoil lug area is sharper on the right side then the left side (with the gouge). There is a 8"+ section around the lug that looks like it has smoothness/oil/gunk from hands. There are also alot of handling marks on the stock as though it was tossed around in its life. It is definitely not a unissued rifle.

I sent Apfeltor an email a week ago and he will be out until later this week so I'm going to have to wait on the shooters kit a few more days. Go/No-Go gauges passed. Receiver/recoil rod are not peened. Just not sure what to do about the slightly canted front sight, if it is worth trying to straighten or not.

20190310_202128.jpg

20190310_202137.jpg

20190310_202539.jpg

20190310_202608.jpg

Default Stock

I would agree with Tiger2Tank for sure there has been some sanding on the stock, and of course the piece missing on the right side. The seller should have acknowledged it in his description.

It’s got good stock mill marks at the butt area as you show. Looks like good side e/359 stamp too. My best guess is that she got knocked around and damage occured at the left recoil lug area and right upper area to the stock. Someone sanded the damaged areas down and repaired the upper right portion of the stock. Fortunately they left the rest of the stock alone. Probably what happened to the front sight as well. A repair to fix the front sight would be beyond most people’s abilities. You could be venturing into territory that could make a mess of the rifle.

Thank you for your thoughts Tiger 2 Tank. Stock has one more waffenamt on the grip. Other than that the only markings are scars. Who knows what the story of this rifle is, if it happened in 1945 or some time after. Its up in the air what I want to do with this one yet. I would like to shoot it a bit. Maybe once a year go through a magazine. But seeing how fragile that stock was when I took the rifle apart, I may have to go a different route.

20190310_202721.jpg