Third Party Press

SMG Type 1 FG42 Update Email

Wilhelm

I just got an email from SMG Guns about the Type 1 and I'm assuming many of you folks did too. All I can say is WoW!!! Absolutely Beautiful work on those stocks and grips Rick!!! :hail: I do wish you could make them fresh from the production line as beat up looking as the one you pictured at auction. It's hard getting that beat up look on my own without a war on you know!

Hi,
We are getting oh so close and I am as ready as anyone for this to come to a close. As to making them look a bit beat up..... Decided to have an impromptu test of the resiliency between good old high temp enamel paint - closest we can get so far to the "stovetop lacquer" call out on the original finish - and the glossy black cerakote. We put the enamel on a steel rod and all we had that was cerakoted that looked like an equal was a barreled shop receiver.

So.... Whack them against the big oak tree and throw, pitch, sling, etc a number of times down the rock driveway to see what happens. I was pretty surprised really, and got to smile about getting to throw that barreled receiver for effect.... lol As usual I am sure I will get accused of being too gentle and all but it did bounce and flip pretty respectably a few times for the camera, all in good fun.

When we put it up I will post a link. Short story is you can get the worn look but it is going to take a little, or maybe a lot, of effort. One spear throw had a rock stuck in the rear of the receiver hard enough it had to be pried out with a screwdriver. Once out a buffer assembly snapped right in. Nothing bent / distorted on the receiver and that cerakote stuff held up pretty amazingly well. Neither the cerakote or the enamel chipped cleanly like the stuff we see on the original rifles.

Not sure what the magic is there or if it is the application or just the age of it. I am showing signs of chipping and flaking as time goes on so maybe thats it! Ok, my fun time is over, back to work! Night...

Rick

I was grinning from ear to ear the whole time I watched the video. Rick gets it. Treat it like a Jeep, NOT a Ferrari. :hail: :biggrin1:

"That's gonna take a screwdriver to get that out." LOVE IT!!!

Cerakote is TOUGH stuff. I dropped my CETME L in the kitchen from 30 inches. It slightly bent the rear sight ear and took a chip out of the concrete floor but no chip in the finish. My honey was pissed about the floor but I just grinned at her.

I have some nice gouges in the handguard on my type II. I just rubbed some used dirty oil in there and it looks fine. BATTLESCARS!!!

P1110827_zps5c5f5964.jpg

Last edited:
I just couldn't believe the receiver held up like that (let alone the finish). I think I'll be a little less crazy about banging these things around at reenactments from now on.

I meant I would normally protect my type II at events like it's a robin's egg. Probably not completely necessary to worry about it being banged around.

Just beat it up, we can always sell you a new one! : )

USE them !!! SHOOOOT them !!! That's what they're for !!! If I end up moving to where I can own one, I'll be mailing you a check Rick. Thanks for all the hard work. I'm totally envious of the guys getting them.

Doug

Just scored a MAS bayo last week on ebay and it should arrive about the same time the gun does but @ least will have gun in hand for when it coes back from modification.

Chompin @ the bit.

Military Rifle Journal
Back