Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Commercial Mauser Oberndorf rifle from 1908

Default Commercial Mauser Oberndorf rifle from 1908

I've recently traded something for what appears to be a Commercial made Mauser Oberndorf rifle. The rifle is in untouched configuration, still carries the original blueing plus the stock also appears to never have been sanded. It is all matching numbers without a modern firing proof.

Since the trigger guard screws seem to be stuck tightly I am unable to remove the stock to check for any additional markings below the stock. Therefore I had wondered if anyone would be able to tell me which caliber this rifle is.

Additionally, this rifle has a very short serial with only four digits. I've been told that this low serial would be correct for a rifle dating around 1900, but not 1908 where they were already above serial 20.000. Can someone shed light on this?

Finally, the receiver bridge carries a very small base which appears to be not factory made, but period original. To me it looks like it is the base for an additional peep sight. Would anyone be able to confirm this and possibly also identify the model?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rest of the pictures.

Man this has some weird features to it, but that maybe due to the fact that I believe it is a Model C but I’m not positive of that. Model C rifles are sort of a catch all model and can be found with many variations, including some of the military parts seen on this one. You are correct, the serial places it in the 1900/01 timeframe, so not sure what the disparity is, possibly added later as I don’t believe these should be dated on the ring. Most intermediate actions (or maybe all) are in 7x57 originally but the receiver notch makes me think it either wasn’t made in 7x57 or was updated to something longer, possibly 7x64. It’s a desirable action though, notice the funny short floorplate and this bolt will be about .100 shorter than a standard model 98 bolt and the receiver about .100 longer across the ring. Not sure what the rear base is specifically to, but I can check some references later to see if anything looks like a possible match. One other thing, with this short action and having a notch in it, you might check that the lower recoil shoulder in the receiver wasn’t opened up too much to feed a larger cartridge, could potentially be unsafe if it was opened up too much. Neat rifle thanks for posting.

I've been put aware that the receiver notch can be commonly found on 8x57 caliber rifles. Since the barrel is also 8mm caliber, this rifle should be either 8x57 I or 8x57 IS. What I forgot mentioning: the rifle bears an original German proof, but an additional British firing proof too.

And I've also been told that by factory the rifle would not have the full serial on the bolt handle (only the last two digits), as well as no serial by factory on the barrel shank. Would the Germans have sold a proofed Gew98 action to the UK where they applied the serial and then proofed the rifle again?

Iím confused, this action has nothing to do with a Gewehr 98 it wonít even accept a standard model 98 bolt. Itís completely different dimensionally.

I thought that serial was familiar, itís 3 off mine! This one has been buggered up unfortunately, but take a look at the dimensional differences.

Super Over the Top Moderator -1/2 bruce98k's Avatar

Default Initial reply from Jon

I will posting additional information from Jon, but here is his first note on this thread.

This example is the Twin to example in my first sporter book SN 3102. These are ARMY HUNTING rifle models made commercially by Mauser . There were some orders made by Hans Tauscher asking for various calibers and were made up in their own SN groupings not following the normal SN for the period. Both examples were made up on Intermediate systems normally used for 7mm sporters and had notches cut out of ring for better Clip feed clearence for the 7.65X53. Also both rifles have the powder and load markings added . The Army Sporters for US were set up in 30.06 and had Mauser banner on rear right side of stock. Army sporters were the lowest level models made up from inventory parts and left over barrels. Most were sold in the pre WW1 period with the odd post war examples recorded. Regards, Jon Speed
    ---- Turbo Myö ----

Thanks for the additional info Bruce, I didnít know they were a separate serial range good to know! I believe Model C and ďarmy modelĒ are one in the same, Iíll have to dig through Johnís book when I get home.

Super Over the Top Moderator -1/2 bruce98k's Avatar

Default Current thread

Jon wanted the owner to check the muzzle for approx. caliber since the action could not be dismounted.
    The caliber designation would be stamped on the barrel, likely on the underside if not marked above the stock line.
    ---- Turbo Myö ----

I have no clue what the proper English term is, but I took out today the "hand impact screwdriver" and managed to unscrew the action screws without damaging them. Please find attached the barrel markings, as well as additional serial number markings.

Do I read these markings correctly that the caliber is 7,65 x 53 mm, therefore the Argentine Mauser cartridge?