Third Party Press

Reporting a Fraud and Dangerous Firearm

Jethro897

Hello Everyone,

You probably don't remember me from last year when I purchased a fake k98 and subsequently pressured the seller into taking the rifle back at your direction. Full story here:
http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?31042-New-Kar98-Mixmaster-decoding-the-markings

All of you helped me more than you ever needed to and I am infinitely grateful.

I set a notification on gunbroker and the same seller is trying to sell the same rifle again:
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/802461621

I'd like to figure out a way to contact the current bidder, but also wanted to make sure that everyone here was aware that this turd was for sale again. This time he actually posted a picture of the receiver ring with the welding voids. A second gunsmith I went to said this rifle was dangerous to fire and could kill someone(other than whatever it is aimed at). Not sure how to proceed but the seller seems to be unrepentant for peddling crap like this.

Hello again! I absolutely DO remember this rifle. Sellers like this guy have no ethics or morals. Either HE bought it and got burned and is trying to get his money back out of it (not okay) OR he himself is Dr. Frankenstein and now he seeks to peddle off his creation.

I don’t know if you can report a gun as being known to be unsafe or anything on GB, but it’s worth a try. I don’t spend enough time on there to know what the options might be.

The truth is that it is entirely possible that others will bid on it and someone else will buy it. It’s fairly frequent that faked rifles sell and it is just an unfortunate truth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see in his feedbacks that he was involved in an auction for a drilled and tapped gun in like 2016 I think it said. That could be this gun that he got burned on and decided to “fix”. No other items for sale and only 6 feedbacks since joining.

Already one bid for 500 bucks as you already noted. Someone is going to get burned on this but again, that is far more frequent than many realize. There’s humped stuff out there EVERYWHERE. Ugh.

It looks dangerous as in the receiver if welded and ground on that crudely could now be a grenade.

It looks dangerous as in the receiver if welded and ground on that crudely could now be a grenade.

For sure. Also, one thing you can't see from the picture is the bolt is actually from a VZ24 and it looks like someone used a blowtorch to heat the bolt handle up and bend it down. Scoring from this is visible on the safety lug in the rear, which could have affected the tempering of that lug. 100% turd.

I see in his feedbacks that he was involved in an auction for a drilled and tapped gun in like 2016 I think it said. That could be this gun that he got burned on and decided to “fix”. No other items for sale and only 6 feedbacks since joining.

Already one bid for 500 bucks as you already noted. Someone is going to get burned on this but again, that is far more frequent than many realize. There’s humped stuff out there EVERYWHERE. Ugh.

It is very unfortunate that someone else will get burned. I googled around for a way to contact other GB members and came up empty. The only option is to contact the seller, but he would probably just go on another tirade about how I was the dishonorable one for demanding a refund.

You really have no option unless you can get legal authorities involved. GB absolutely does not care about sellers peddling garbage or lying in their ads. I've reached out to them with several pretty specific things and they haven't given two shits. Unfortunately the NR is in for a tough lesson.

You really have no option unless you can get legal authorities involved. GB absolutely does not care about sellers peddling garbage or lying in their ads. I've reached out to them with several pretty specific things and they haven't given two shits. Unfortunately the NR is in for a tough lesson.

That's been my experience, as well with GB. Hopefully the bidder will either wise up and back out, or will do as I did and consult some professional advice.

The gun is so obviously bad, and information is so readily available, that the fool who bids on this abortion has only himself to blame....

The gun is so obviously bad, and information is so readily available, that the fool who bids on this abortion has only himself to blame....

We have exactly the same name!! Yep this one has been so thoroughly ruined that it’s hard to see anything useful on it. Maybe the stock? Oh well. Another rifle ruined.

Yeah, I can’t believe that with the information that’s readily available out there and the pics the seller himself provided, how someone could look at this thing and be like “Yep, this looks like a good buy!”.

Maybe the buyer plans to do the world a service and melt this thing down.

Yeah, I can’t believe that with the information that’s readily available out there and the pics the seller himself provided, how someone could look at this thing and be like “Yep, this looks like a good buy!”.

Maybe the buyer plans to do the world a service and melt this thing down.

Hahaha I know before that people have mentioned buying an item in order to destroy it! I would video the destruction and share it!

This rifle though is a perfect example of the distance people will go to in order to deceive when it comes to K98s. Caveat Emptor big time when it comes to WWII German military items for sure. This makes research all the more important. One hardly needs a minesweeper if they are sure there aren’t any mines! In this case, there’s lots.

Agreed, Gunbroker's customer service is horrible, they don't have a working contact number anymore and resolve everything electronically (which never works). They only care if they get their fee.

Military Rifle Journal
Back