Third Party Press

Sight hood installation

JBBOOKS

Hey guys,
How do you put a sight hood back on a rifle, I am having a difficult time. Any suggestions on how to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated!

Use a good pair of split ring pliers or 'reverse pliers."
I wrap the tips of the pliers with a couple of turns of tape so they have some improved metal-to-metal grip , and won't scratch the hood either.

Last edited:
Agreed, I use a good set of snap ring pliers with the arms taped to prevent scratching and "slip-offs", they can reach light speed if they pop off the pliers. Get a good set, not the thin armed cheap ones. German hoods will bend those easily.

Alternatively, I use bar clamp spreaders and paracord. Take two lengths of paracord and tie each in a loop, then place each loop over one end of the bar clamp spreader and also inside the sight hood, and just spread it open.
That's for installation, and for removal it's the same, you just have to tie the loops through the sight hood first since you can't push them through the gap in the bottom of the hood.

Third vote for snap ring pliers. I tried many other solutions on the internet and not one of them worked well except for snap ring pliers. Also keep your free hand over the sight hood during installation in case it slips off, that is, unless you want a sight hood shaped mark on your face :rofl:

Put the sight hood in your pocket and walk into any auto parts store and ask to buy a set of reverse pliers. You can pull the hood out and show the counter guy what you are spreading then check to make sure it is the right-sized tool before you buy it. I have used the paracord method before and won't do it again after using the reverse pliers.

As Pisgah said or you'll get an original hood taking off and hitting the walls and/or idiot marks on your front sight base.

Military Rifle Journal
Back