Third Party Press

AX code 1940 help

Markap

I've got an ax code k98k dated 1940. I'm looking to finally sell it but coming up with a fair price has proven difficult. Could I please get a few opinions on it's value? Everything besides the band, lug and I assume the stock is not matching. However the rifle is in rough shape showing lots of pitting and neglected storage. The bolt, rear sight mag plate, trigger housing and follower all match the receiver.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

From the sounds of things its pretty rough. Without photos its hard to say also.. Asking this question will get you a range of prices as typically everyone's opinions differs slightly .

Best recourse could be to put it up on GB no reserve and see what the market bears. I usually don't go this route cause there is risk involved but the base rifle doesn't sound to valuable to begin with.

Hope this helps...

From the sounds of things its pretty rough. Without photos its hard to say also.. Asking this question will get you a range of prices as typically everyone's opinions differs slightly .

Best recourse could be to put it up on GB no reserve and see what the market bears. I usually don't go this route cause there is risk involved but the base rifle doesn't sound to valuable to begin with.

Hope this helps...

Not much, I don’t care for gunbroker much. After posting photos I would expect to see various prices and was going to just go with an average. My guess is it would be worth around $400 but I may be a little high or a little low. So that’s why I would like to get a few other options. I realize it would be worth less to someone who has an ax code then to someone else that could use it or even have it as a place holder. So I was thinking I would take the lowest value and the highest and split the difference to give me a fair price for the buyer as well as myself.

I’ll be posting on the trader section here first for at least 24-48 hours.

Photos added here. It looks like the band is the only non matching part. The bayonet lug I assume is not original but it is unnumbered. The stock may or may not be matching I will would assume it is not matching if the band is not matching. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Last edited:
Really hard for me to make a judgmental value on this rifle even though it is a very desirable rifle made by Feima. In reality the pitting and the neglection really hurts this rifle a lot. If the rifle was covered in a lot of grime and surface rust it would be a worthwhile restoration piece but this type of pitting is almost impossible to undo.

Damn shame about the condition. Pitting issues are bad. AX is a desirable code.
Yeah, I know. It's a shame. I don't collect German but I do appreciate the Mausers. I picked it up thinking I could use the stock off it one day but I stashed it away and forgot about it. I don't have the heart to do any further damage to it. I never realized the capture screws were matching to it until I took photos of it. However I did fire a round through it in my backyard when I first got it. I think my nephew and neighbor at the time had a side bet about the rifle making it or not. I'd shoot it again without hesitation. I'm thinking it's only worth $20 to some but she's worth $400 to me.

Military Rifle Journal
Back