Third Party Press

"K98" Noob Here!

Hi all, I just got back from finishing the paperwork for what the store owner called a "K98" despite having done nearly no prior research on the models! I was hoping I could get some help here in identifying if it was a fake or not (I haven't actually paid for it yet). I was only able to take a couple pictures (https://imgur.com/a/zvnXjkr) since I had already kept them past closing for purchasing another gun. I'm hoping to go back tomorrow and take more pictures; are there specific areas that would be helpful in identifying the authenticity?

Thanks in advance!

Definitely a K98. Definitely not a high dollar rifle. So as long as you aren’t going to pay more than I’d say $600, the bore isn’t shite, the stock isn’t broke, you probably did fine. Little can be said from 2 pics.

Mauser Borsigwalde manufactur. 1939-1940 probably. Repro sling. Probably a good shooter. When you first start out with K98s, as I did, you really don’t know that you don’t know anything. So much to learn

Hello! When you go back, get pictures of the markings on the bolt, and of the markings on the barrel bands. Also, if you can see any visible markings on the stock get those too.

Just from your initial pictures nothing bad jumps out. You may have done well for 600 bucks! Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The second photo shows some stock damage to the area around the recoil crossbolt. Closer examination and more photos needed of the stock.

From what im seeing it looks to be what I call a "franken-mauser". A conglomeration of many different rifle parts into one rifle. The recoil lug damage is worry some. But considering it has a matching bolt and some matching numbers its probably worth about as much as a russian capture. Which is around $600. It is a "real" k98k. Its just not a matching or original condition k98k. Stock is horribly refinished. Just my .02 cents.

Edit: The sling is ofcourse a modern reproduction.

John.

The recoil lug damage is worry some. Stock is horribly refinished.

Do you think it's in firing condition even with these or should I switch them out? I was a little worried about the condition of the inside of the bore; the rifling looks quite worn.

Looking at your newest set of pictures I have to say that I would be very worried about firing this gun. It looks to me like the recoil lug has been pounded back by firing, and it looks like the stock also has a huge crack behind the action and it may have knocked a chip out of the stock on the top. I don’t think I would fire it as is.
dfb83e628aae270c0cffbffb54762a06.jpg
fba4445ad4dcb50f80dc2e6191161a81.jpg
df8290c0ad8f04088c7fb2dbd39e095e.jpg

The rifle was imported by a known importer according to the markings on the barrel near the muzzle end, and they imported all kinds of rifles of all kinds of quality. Your gun is indeed a “mixmaster” of different parts, but it’s hard to say when they were assembled together as they presently are, or by who. It doesn’t appear to be a Russian capture nor does it appear to be Norwegian captured.

Interestingly though from what I can see the bolt looks to be all matching to itself, which is kind of surprising given the mixing of the other parts. Again, the crack and the recoil lug damage are worrisome to me as far as firing goes.

Advice to a newbie

Two step process.
Step 1 - Buy and study reference books and attend shows for “in-hand” observation.
Step 2 - Seek advice from sites like this one Before making a purchase. Do your homework.

Thanks everybody for your responses! I decided to call the store to cancel the deal based on all your assessments. At best it would have served as a wall decoration if I decided to go through with it. I'll definitely do more research while I look for another!

Thanks everybody for your responses! I decided to call the store to cancel the deal based on all your assessments. At best it would have served as a wall decoration if I decided to go through with it. I'll definitely do more research while I look for another!

Good news there, I’m glad you cancelled. You’ll find a good one, and actually THE BEST place to find a good honest rifle is right here on the trader section of this forum! There might actually be a couple good ones on there right now, depending on your price range. If not, just take your time and look around at the various threads and posts here to gain knowledge and one will show up, on the trader, guaranteed.

Military Rifle Journal
Back