Third Party Press

G33/40 Front Sight Question

FlyFish

Hello everyone, new-ish member, first time poster.

I recently acquired a DOT '41 G33/40 in nice condition. Overall everything looks good as far as the metal components. The rifle came with an original g33/40 laminate stock; which I understand is correct for the 1942 production rifles, so this rifle lacks the stock that was original to it. The rifle does have a mismatched bolt; but at least the bolt is a correct g33/40 bolt.

My questions are regarding the front sight, my rifle has the standard K98 front sight and hood affixed, rather than the smaller looking g33/40 or vz-24 style front sight and hood that I see in all the reference material. I have yet to see another g33/40 in photos with a k98 style front sight and hood. Does anyone have any idea why this was done other than a possible repair of a damaged front sight at some point? I would assume this could have been done post war...or, been done during the war if the front sight was smashed against a rock or something whilst mountaineering. I'd attach photos but everyone on here likely knows what a k98 front sight looks like vs a g33/40 front sight. I am also curious if any g33/40s are known to have been produced from the factory with the k98 style front sights and hoods? Cant seem to find any info on this. Thanks in advance.

Lastly, the backstory on the rifle is that it was purchased by my my firearms dealer from an elderly woman (with un-modified metal components) and it had a 1960s era hand made sporter style stock affixed. My dealer purchased an original g33/40 laminate stock to go with the rifle upon sale. When I purchased the rifle from him, it still had the 1960s sporter stock affixed, but I made sure to remove the stock and examine the piece before purchase. Fortunately, the post war owner did not modify the metal components, just made a stock fort it. It now has the g33/40 stock affixed and I kept the sporter stock as it is a nice piece of craftsmanship and part of the rifles history now.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks again.

the front site bases are totally different and the hood grabs differently. the k98 hood would have to be notched out to even stay on a correct 33/40 base.

Thanks for the reply.

The front sight assembly on this rifle is the complete k98 style front sight assembly; to include, the front sight base is mounted to the "collar" that is slightly raised off of the barrel and larger in diameter than the barrel itself when mounted on the barrel. All of the g33/40 front sights I have observed in photos have no collar i.e. the barrel is one single diameter near the muzzle and the base mounts directly to the barrel without the appearance of a "collar".

It may have had the barrel replaced and the banded front sight base installed at that time. I have seen a few VZ-24's that have had that done. Also, could have had a K98k barrel installed as well. It sounds like the rifle has been altered from it's original configuration over the years with the mismatched parts and a sporter stock. Might have to post detailed photos of the rifle to get a better answer.

With the words you've provided you're not going to get much but rank conjecture, which is what you had before, which is what you have now, which is not going to get less conjectural because it cannot. Did Bubba rebarrel it? Did a HZA depot? Did Otto Skorzeny's personal armorer? Pics are indeed worth more than pages of posts. If you would like good answers then provide good pictures of the front sight and base, barrel, barrel numbering and markings, and barrel as it indexes into the receiver. Otherwise, this thread is done insofar as solid information is concerned.

Fair enough, totally understandable. I will take some photos and upload them in the near future. Thanks!

I'm not trying to be a jack@a$$, I'm actually trying to get you the correct answers as we certainly have enough K98k/Mauser/Etc. knowledge here to get you the best answer that can be had on this planet. I'm interested as well.

I'm not trying to be a jack@a$$, I'm actually trying to get you the correct answers as we certainly have enough K98k/Mauser/Etc. knowledge here to get you the best answer that can be had on this planet. I'm interested as well.

Thanks for the follow-up Hambone, I didn't take your message that way at all. Me being a noob here on this particular forum, it was bad form on my part to text a wordy explanation and question that could have been clearly posted with a few less words and a few more photos on my part. I'm not the biggest fan of computers (even though they are often a great tool) so my lack of photos was perhaps just technological laziness on my part, lol!

I'll try to get some photos up by this weekend. Thanks again! Don't worry, you didn't offend me at all, I've got thick skin and direct talk works well for me.

Military Rifle Journal
Back