Third Party Press
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about buying this rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Clickjack View Post
    Oh I did.

Where is the for sale / Want to buy Section. I want a matching shooter in good shape from the war years. This seems like the perfect forum to look for that. But there doesn’t seem to be any place to post
    go slow!!! there are lots of fakes & repro's and post war hoods. K-98 hoods & k/g-43 hoods are not the same research first. plenty of original hoods around. take your time invest in the proper pliers "O" ring type

Quote Originally Posted by sprat View Post
    go slow!!! there are lots of fakes & repro's and post war hoods. K-98 hoods & k/g-43 hoods are not the same research first. plenty of original hoods around. take your time invest in the proper pliers "O" ring type
    Not sure what you are telling me here. Do you see something about this rifle in the OP I should be leery of?
    My understanding is it shouldn’t have a hooded sight.

These two showed up today. Both RC. I’m still thinking I’m gonna pick up the S/243 in the first post. But thought I’d double check with you guys to make sure I’m making the right call.

Hey Buddy, is that an E/4 in your pocket?

The S/243 1936 is WAY better of a choice. A rc will always play "second fiddle" to a somewhat matching original.

Keeper of the Def's Head M1903A3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mowzerluvr View Post
    The S/243 1936 is WAY better of a choice. A rc will always play "second fiddle" to a somewhat matching original.
    I agree with this for sure. R/C guns indeed always have lower value to collectors and the S/243 is an unusual code/date. As such, it is the better buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mowzerluvr View Post

Quote Originally Posted by M1903A3 View Post
    I agree with this for sure. R/C guns indeed always have lower value to collectors and the S/243 is an unusual code/date. As such, it is the better buy.
    That’s what I figured. I’m picking it up on Monday. But these turned up yesterday so figured I’d ask.

Keeper of the Def's Head M1903A3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clickjack View Post
    That’s what I figured. I’m picking it up on Monday. But these turned up yesterday so figured I’d ask.
    Good choice and it is fun to check out every K98 you run across. One never knows when you see one on a rack in a store from a distance, it may be junk but you never know. Some very nice rifles have turned up in odd places. Always worth taking a look. Congrats on your purchase!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest update. I didn’t buy the rifle today. The guy is nearly impossible to get on the same page with about when and where to meet. I think he has young kids so no big deal. But he ain’t working hard to take my money.

So a member here responded to my wtb thread with a matching BYF 43

“The rifle has not been touched since WW2. It has some patena and some very light surface pitting in some areas. It still has dust on the front sight under the sight hood from hanging around in a closet. It was a direct vet purchase and overall it is in great shape. Bore is good with strong rifling and a good muzzle. The action is smooth and would shoot just fine. If the next owner wishes to thoroughly clean it up it would look even better. I don't like to touch the originality of these. I leave as found.”

He wants 1900.00. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Clickjack; 03-18-2019 at 10:37 PM.

the rec'vr looks a tad rough... pics aren't the best for wood assessment...

email => K98@bobinohio.com

Quote Originally Posted by milgunsguy View Post
    the dust under the front sight hood really does it for me. Buy it because of the dust.
    Ha. Yeah that scared me but he said he’s been keeping the rust off with balistol so I assume he’s cleaning it. The photos looks like I see rust. But we’ll have to see better photos to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob in OHIO View Post
    the rec'vr looks a tad rough... pics aren't the best for wood assessment...
    Yeah It looks a little rough to me. He said he’s gonna take better photos. He said it’s condition is “brown patina”. “Thin finish” “combat carried”