Third Party Press
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about buying this rifle

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

I'll add this after looking at the stock in particular more closely on the computer. We like to see sharp crisp edges on any machine cuts (we can see the recoil lug closely) and they all look sharp with minor handling wear breaking the edges in certain areas. If the stock has crisp markings and the fittings match the stock then the value of that set is pretty substantial, especially if it's a more elusive maker.
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by heavy_mech View Post
    I'll add this after looking at the stock in particular more closely on the computer. We like to see sharp crisp edges on any machine cuts (we can see the recoil lug closely) and they all look sharp with minor handling wear breaking the edges in certain areas. If the stock has crisp markings and the fittings match the stock then the value of that set is pretty substantial, especially if it's a more elusive maker.
    It seems like a nice rifle. But I don’t know much.

I was also looking at a byf 43 but only A few parts are matching like receiver and stock along with sling loops and misc parts but the bolt is not and it has import marks... most damning to me, it’s been scrubbed if it’s German marks.

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clickjack View Post
    It seems like a nice rifle.

..the bolt is not and it has import marks... most damning to me, it’s been scrubbed if it’s German marks.
    It does for $800. but further details will determine just how much. Or not so much. Maybe he's not super firm on price either. I'd look for more stock marks and anything else to get a better sense.

As for the second one you describe... hard pass.
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

Keeper of the Def's Head M1903A3's Avatar

These guys have given you an excellent assessment of this rifle as well as some valuable insight into the time period that this rifle was made. (Loewe as always is able to put the context into focus for any individual rifle, and after all the context makes it all the more interesting!)

I would be intrigued by this rifle if for no other reason than I don’t see many of these around at all. So, as Loewe said, assess the rest of the parts on the rifle to determine originality. If it’s all matching or mostly matching (and NOT FAKED) I think 800 is a good price. If you can get more pictures of the other markings from all over it, post them up and you’ll get your answers! Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keeper of the Def's Head M1903A3's Avatar

Oh and as to the other rifle you mentioned, run away!!

should my rifle have a hooded site or is this from before they added that? I looked up s/243 and saw others with a hooded front site.

Not from the factory but some earlier rifles were retrofitted later though.

Quote Originally Posted by M1903A3 View Post
    Oh and as to the other rifle you mentioned, run away!!

Oh I did.

Where is the for sale / Want to buy Section. I want a matching shooter in good shape from the war years. This seems like the perfect forum to look for that. But there doesn’t seem to be any place to post

Hey Buddy, is that an E/4 in your pocket?

Quote Originally Posted by Clickjack View Post
    Oh I did.

Where is the for sale / Want to buy Section. I want a matching shooter in good shape from the war years. This seems like the perfect forum to look for that. But there doesn’t seem to be any place to post
    Forum trader further below on the main page.

Quote Originally Posted by mowzerluvr View Post
    Forum trader further below on the main page.
    Thank you. I don’t know how I missed that.