Third Party Press

dot//12 barrel code

Bob in OHIO

Only the second I have seen. The only other was sn 4114, no letter block which I formerly owned. This example is late e-block, with BL barrel code.... some distance from "no letter".

If anyone cares, Karem & Steves mention 11, 12, 13 in a dot shield... the 13's are most commonly seen, 11s less so (based on a small table by K & S, page 668, vol. 2b)... and the 12's, well...

Attachments

• dot12.jpg
    dot12.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 80
Very interesting! I wonder what the number inside the shield signifies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never could determine what the number signifies, wish I could have figured it out. There are always new mysteries to work on!

The supplier, - F. Janecek (dsh) is certainly one of the three, Brno is almost certainly dot/13.

Most probably Bohmische Waffenfabrik (bky) or Spreewerke's Czech branch (cyq) is the other. The latter made MG barrels and cyq pistol barrels. Brunn-Vsetín (dov) is also a possibility, they made MG barrels, - some Czech makers made FLAK barrels also...

What is for sure these are three different finishers, all Czech related operations and the best bet is looking at MG and Flak barrel makers. Though my bet is F. Janecek is one of them as they made 98k barrels until 1942, all marked to ordnance usage.

Ken Huddle wrote an article about the Czech operations, including the time under German servitude... I am sure Bob and Mike have the article, he might have touched upon this as he dug into the details of each operation and is very knowledgeable about barrels, especially MG/FLAK barrels.

The supplier, - F. Janecek (dsh) is certainly one of the three, Brno is almost certainly dot/13.

Most probably Bohmische Waffenfabrik (bky) or Spreewerke's Czech branch (cyq) is the other. The latter made MG barrels and cyq pistol barrels. Brunn-Vsetín (dov) is also a possibility, they made MG barrels, - some Czech makers made FLAK barrels also...

What is for sure these are three different finishers, all Czech related operations and the best bet is looking at MG and Flak barrel makers. Though my bet is F. Janecek is one of them as they made 98k barrels until 1942, all marked to ordnance usage.

Thank you Loewe for the information! I can always count on you for insight and info that few if any have.

Never could determine what the number signifies, wish I could have figured it out. There are always new mysteries to work on!

That’s a huge part of the fun though right? A great pastime is never really “completed” or finished, it lasts a lifetime.

Perhaps I should have been less absolute in my observations, these were my opinions, - in our time where opinions masquerade as facts (especially in media, politics and "science") I should have been more careful in using words that imply certainty.

That said, I am sure, or as sure as I can be with the research (trends/reading) conducted, that these shields are related to makers or blank suppliers to Brno, probably from "Brno group" firms that made rifle barrels, MG or Flak barrels, several of which were related to Brno (dot), - referencing Ken's article he lists 7 firms within this groups alone, plus the other Czech firms that had experience with rifle or MG barrel production.

My opinion is that these shields are related to F. Janecek (dsh) and or Brunn-Vsetín (dov) who are known to have made large numbers of rifle or MG barrels, these could have been semi-finished barrels Brno/dot finished which is common with FN during their barrel production. Typically dot/11 shows up early in dot/43 production, matter of fact almost all of the earliest dot/43's will have dot/11 or dot/12 barrels, they disappear quickly though (f-block), possibly related to the problems Brno encountered with MG production early on (as described in the CIOS report). The dot/11 appear again in 1945 production, typically with numeric lot or date codes. The dot/12's are rarest by far, pretty much only seen very early in 1943.

Anyway, cross research into MG/FLAK barrels would probably offer leads?

Thank you Loewe for the information! I can always count on you for insight and info that few if any have.

Military Rifle Journal
Back