Third Party Press
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I Got Wood...Kriegsmodel;

Quote Originally Posted by mrfarb View Post
    Still a great price. Are you sure the handguard inspection is 135? Seems like an armorers part though which would be correct for a late Mauser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I tried every which way to get a good angle, but the camera couldnít capture it.

Quote Originally Posted by flynaked View Post
    Yes, unmistakeably Czech shaped, bolt cut and the proud forward TG (despite the sanding) is always a BrŁnn I feature, even next door at Bystrica the stock is cut dramatically different in this area. I was thinking it might have been a super late stock (given the lack of disc and acceptance traces) that was sanded but Mikes thought is probably more likely. A look in the barrel channel might help determine if itís wartime or not but Iím not sure if they continued some of the same practices postwar.
    The Chanel is blank, went over it a few times for any markings. Anything I should be looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by b32dominator View Post
    I had my suspicions of this. For 70 bucks itís kind of a place holder till if/when I find an MO.
    Yep, not a bad stock to have and you canít beat the price!

I appreciate the input guys, your knowledge is awesome. I figured for the price it would do until I found an MO.

For some reason a barreled action in my safe drives me nuts until itís complete.

Quote Originally Posted by flynaked View Post
    Yes, unmistakeably Czech shaped, bolt cut and the proud forward TG (despite the sanding) is always a BrŁnn I feature, even next door at Bystrica the stock is cut dramatically different in this area. I was thinking it might have been a super late stock (given the lack of disc and acceptance traces) that was sanded but Mikes thought is probably more likely. A look in the barrel channel might help determine if itís wartime or not but Iím not sure if they continued some of the same practices postwar.
    A lot of postwar blanks have channel markings, most likely in process wood. No chatter is a main trait of postwar stocks, you can kinda tell that even though this stock is sanded it's lightly sanded and that isn't enough to remove the chatter.
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Ah thanks for the info Mike, so no help with that detail. I would agree too with it not being sanded super hard. Which, (to the OP) is why that proud TG isnít that dramatic, a wartime stock looks nearly identical in that detail. I would imagine most if not all of the wartime tooling and machines remaind in place for quite some time, as the Russians didnít seem to care about returning property stolen by the Germans.

I really appreciate you guys, your knowledge is awesome! I feel a lot less excited, kind of bummed. But hey I learned something and it didnít cost me much in the long run.

Beau fusil.