Third Party Press

Really hoping I don't have a Bubba Gew 98 from 1917

TSoukup

I am really hoping that I don't have a bubba gun and I want to hear what yall think. I tried to take pics of any of the markings that looked significant. Story goes it’s a 1917 Danzig re arsenal. Supposedly it’s was re done in 7mm Mauser, I know nothing about the history of it past that. I was really hoping that it was a 8 mm (I have ammo from my m48) but I still have to slug it and head space it. I would have preferred 8mm Mauser, and Ik that 7mm wasn't standard, but from the little I know, its just what was re done when it went from a 1917 Gew98 to a 98M. I am not use to the bolt, for it looks like it was at one point a straight bolt that was bent, and it was drilled and tapped but not in a bubba fashion (I hope). I also know that it has a Vz. 24 stock on it, I know that there was a relation for a german action and Czech part, but I fear that this is not the case. Since this gun is all over the board (and this forum) I figured I would start here in the era that I though would make the most sense. I appreciate the help with trying to IDing the gun.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-ABchTwzf3y2338HSr2XzwFwGdl1v9XV
If there is a problem accessing this drive, I can post the pics later

Definetely altered from an original GEW 98 ..Only part that looks GEW is the reciever .Bolt looks like Czech...possibly re barreled in 7mm ..looks to have a Spanish front sight..And VZ 24 stock..

Try and do pictures here, better ones if possible, - pay special attention to the receiver and the barrel markings. If you can take pictures of the barrel, we can tell you whether or not the barrel is original to the rifle (obviously if it is 7 mm it is not original)

It is remotely possible this receiver was once a sniper rifle, Danzig/17 ii-block is a known sniper range. Pretty unlikely this was one, but you never know. This is beyond my specialty, knowing the bases, mounts and optics or the pattern that could be original in this range, but there are collectors here that are familiar with such things. If you post good pictures of the receiver, preferably out of the stock, barrel too, you might be able to get solid answers to whether your rifle is worth anything. From what I saw, that hinges upon the remote possibility it was once a sniper. Probably long odds that, not too many would do this to a once valuable rifle.

So the rabbit whole deepens. I posted 50 new pics in the drive, and I had a friend with a better phone take better pics replacing and including the pics of not just the new stamps I found but most every photo as well. From what I can tell everything has serial numbers that end in the same way, 54 like on the bolt release, I don't know if that was common of a foreign bubba but it seems odd to me. As you'll see there are different variants of the II that was originally visible on the exterior of the receiver. There are also a ton of what appears to be random stamps beneath the barrel. I am at a loss for this gun.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-ABchTwzf3y2338HSr2XzwFwGdl1v9XV
Thank you for any help

All that is needed is pictures of the barrel and receiver, - the rest is junk to be frank...

These HEIC pictures are incompatible with my computer, all these new formats are irritating... however from the pictures I could see the barrel was probably original, certainly Imperial, but looks shortened. Reminiscent of some of the Spanish reworks. I didn't see the muzzle area but if shortened crudely, this was probably work by Interarms in the 1960's. Can you describer the markings under the barrel, should be by the eagle fireproof, perhaps BI or BO followed by numbers, possibly KR also, Danzig was keen on these suppliers but others are possible.

Anyway, perhaps some of the others can comment on the drill pattern, whether it is possible for the era, looks like it could be, but this is a specialization i do not study enough to give good advice.

Drill pattern looks ok for a ruined ex Danzig/17 sniper rifle.
I did not find find a photo showing the BC.

Military Rifle Journal
Back