Third Party Press

Questions for the BYF 43 experts - pictures

Hi guys,

I came into a pretty nice looking BYF 43, but know little about these rifles.

Receiver,magazine assembly, and all bolt parts are matching. Stock appears to be mismatched (maybe arsenal refurb?)

I had a gunsmith borescope it and he said it was the prettiest he has seen on one of these rifles- whatever that’s worth. It does look really nice to the eye; clean, sharp, and no pitting.

What is the likely history of this rifle? Is the sling original? What of the mismatched stock?

What would a rifle like this be valued at in this market?

Thanks all!

-TF

Attachments

• IMG_7823.jpg
    IMG_7823.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_7824.jpg
    IMG_7824.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_7825.jpg
    IMG_7825.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_7826.jpg
    IMG_7826.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_7827.jpg
    IMG_7827.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_7828.jpg
    IMG_7828.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_7829.jpg
    IMG_7829.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_7830.jpg
    IMG_7830.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_7831.jpg
    IMG_7831.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_7832.jpg
    IMG_7832.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 79
yeah, i figured the stock & associated parts were replaced, due to the mismatch.

One more picture. Looks like it wont let me add any more due to storage constraints.

Attachments

• IMG_7835.jpg
    IMG_7835.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 51
What you have is a classic example of a restored “sporter” rifle. Either the original stock was cut down, or discarded altogether and a prefabricated after market stock used to house the matching barreled receiver and bolt. The current stock on the rifle is not even a k98k stock. It has been already been noted the front sight has been altered to a post war commercial sight system. The primary thing of value on the rifle is the receiver and matching bolt.

Some people see a few matching numbers on a rifle and start doing cartwheels thinking they hit the mother lode and planning their early retirements with the huge mounds of money they will make from such a rare gem. The reality is it is a parts gun that might make a decent restoration project if you wanted one. Keep in mind that you will SPEND money on a restoration that you may or may not get back if you decide to sell it. If you are looking to sell, figure out what a reasonable price would be. Decent condition barreled receivers seem to go in the 150-200 dollar range. A decent matching bolt will get you 150-175 dollars. For a true k98k restoration the stock is essentially useless and is basically dead weight if the rifle was to be shipped. It might be better to try and sell the stock separately if someone would have need of whatever model stock it might actually be.

The receiver and bolt matching each other is a bonus, but this benefit is offset by the fact that the front sight appears to have an aftermarket sleeve which encompasses the entire front sight area. If you are lucky, the band might be held in place with tension or friction, possibly a combination of the two. If it is soldered or epoxied in place then removing it will be a problematic. You might think if it is soldered “oh well...I’ll just heat it up and drive off the sight”. This might work assuming that when they installed the after market front sight blade they didn’t decide to mess with the small alignment/securing screw in the front sight base. If they did then the whole front sight might come off if the soldier is softened. The heat will also probably screw up the bluing finish near the front sight and area around the barrel. Cutting off the aftermarket sight hood might be a possibility, but the double wrap look with the original front sight and added base might look a bit odd.

There are two ways to go about dealing with this rifle if you decide to keep it. The first is to carefully and patiently do a decent restoration job making it a fun project and allowing you to learn more about the rifle as you restore it. The other is to rush the project, cut corners and basically screw up the metal in the process of doing a half-a$$ job. I believe taking your time and doing it right will be the far more rewarding experience.

As far a a price for the project rifle I think 300-350 dollars for the receiver and bolt combination is not unreasonable. You might note that Russian capture guns are selling for more, but keep in mind although they are mixmasters they still have a proper k98 stock with them. I’m not going to start another debate of whether r/c rifles are good or bad or worth the money, I’m just using them for comparison. I’m not sure what variation of Mauser stock the receiver is currently in but it appears to have waffenamts and depending on stock type and condition the stock will probably have some value as well which will add to the overall value. Since it is a parts gun selling the stock separately might increase your overall profit.

If you decide you want to sell it then try listing it on this website first for a few days first. It is a simple courtesy to the site that provided you this information. Some people will come here, get the information then turn around and just sell it on Gunboards which is quite frankly a total douche bag move. In the end the decision is up to you. Good luck.

Military Rifle Journal
Back