Third Party Press

1911 Amberg

JBBOOKS

I have the chance to purchase a 1911 Amber Kar 98. All the serial numbers match, but someone cut the stock to use as a hunting rifle. How hard is it to find a replacement stock and what is a fair price for a nice stock. I have heard that it is difficult to find a stock that will fit the action. I am new to Imperial rifles so any help you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Not very easy to find a original Kar98a stock..they do show up though..there are reproductions produced will set you back 275.00 approx.

Not very easy to find a original Kar98a stock..they do show up though..there are reproductions produced will set you back 275.00 approx.

+1. Save your money, by the time you find a appropriate stock, bands, and other hardware you're probably looking at what it would cost you to buy an honest bolt m/m outright.

Coming from a guy who has lost his a$$ several times on restorations, they are seldom worth it and generally based around the gun having an original stock if it's from the Imperial era. How bad and where is it cut? Are you sure the rifle isn't duffle cut and the parts got lost? Photos would help. But with a 98a you can find a stock easy enough, it will just cost you. The hand guard will be next to impossible.

Thanks

Thanks for the advice. The stock was cut way back and could not be repaired. No handguard. Based on your previous attempts at restorations I think I am going to pass on this one. Thanks for the advice.
+1. Save your money, by the time you find a appropriate stock, bands, and other hardware you're probably looking at what it would cost you to buy an honest bolt m/m outright.

Coming from a guy who has lost his a$$ several times on restorations, they are seldom worth it and generally based around the gun having an original stock if it's from the Imperial era. How bad and where is it cut? Are you sure the rifle isn't duffle cut and the parts got lost? Photos would help. But with a 98a you can find a stock easy enough, it will just cost you. The hand guard will be next to impossible.

If this is the one at auction, then it does have the distinction of having its original bolt. Harder to find than 98a stocks are Bavarian bolts, - though Amberg's will be doubly difficult to "restore" because finding a Bavarian 98a stock will not be easy.

Before CB passed we discussed the difficulty of finding Bavarian 98a bolts, he bought a rifle than had a mismatched Bavarian 98a bolt in it and I think his interest in the rifle was in part due to the Bavarian bolt. In this case the bolt matches the B/R, so no incentive to acquire the bolt for another project, but from recollection it was a decent project rifle if you are in search of worthwhile and difficult projects. 20 years ago i would have been all over it...

BTW, of all the makers of the 98a, I think Amberg's are most desirable, they are just as rare as Spandau's and better made, - finding a truly exceptional Amberg 98a is extremely difficult. While i am pessimistic about restorations in general, especially 98a restorations requiring a new stock, if you are interested going down that difficult path it should be saved for exceptional rifles and Amberg 98a are such rifles.

While i am pessimistic about restorations in general, especially 98a restorations requiring a new stock, if you are interested going down that difficult path it should be saved for exceptional rifles and Amberg 98a are such rifles.

:thumbsup:

Military Rifle Journal
Back