Third Party Press

East German Rebuild 1940 660

To buy or not to buy: East German Rebuild 1940 660

I'm considering the purchase of this k98. It's a 1940 660, re-barreled, matcing or reasonably force matched with the exception of the lower metal. This is currently offered at 800$USD. Reasonable price? The bayonet and sling are not included.

There may be a faint sunburst stamped on top of the receiver.

Images can be found here: https://imgur.com/a/FTrwA5N

Last edited:
Not an expert on these, same rifle is listed elsewhere, won’t disclose where unless you want to know through PM so no one gets the jump on you. I almost bought this one as I think it looks interesting but settled on the other EG/Czech refurb that was listed on the same site, just becuase I liked the stock on the other one a little more. I think it is a nice rifle and is priced at the same price point I paid for my EG refurb.

Is this in the US? If it is you could buy a legit bolt mm for that money. If it's in Canada, 800 USD sounds high to me for a rework but I don't really follow the prices on stuff like that.

Is this in the US? If it is you could buy a legit bolt mm for that money. If it's in Canada, 800 USD sounds high to me for a rework but I don't really follow the prices on stuff like that.

It is in Canada. For context this one is about $1100 in Canada, there are all matching ones selling up here for $2500 to $3000 Canadian dollars, or about $1800-2300 USD becuase they are hard to come by.

Let's put price aside for a moment.

1. Is this a a vopo gun
2. Is the mismatched trigger guard and magasine well common on these.

I know a lot of Refurbs do have the larger winter trigger guard. The bottom metal I am not sure about hopefully someone else chimes in.

On my EG refurb a lot of the parts are force matched, ie stock, top wood, front band, bayo lug, bolt maybe original or force matched can’t tell, most of the bolt parts and trigger. Strangely enough the trigger guard on mine is force matched, but the magazine floor plate is not.

Aside from that small parts that don’t show like under the rear sight, were not renumbered on mine

Military Rifle Journal
Back