Third Party Press

Volume 1 Update

bruce98k

Super Over the Top Moderator -1/2
Staff member
Ok here is the update for Volume 1 on Nov.9, 2011.

At this point we have 428 total pages either complete or mapped out with at least 80% of those pages done - at least to draft level.
This does not included 3 chapters of which they will be worked on in the next 2-3 months. From expectations, likely over 500 pages.

As for expected publishing date, figure June-July 2012. We are behind schedule but would rather get it right and be late.

I am sure I asked this question several months before, but old age is setting in and my memory isn't what it used to be, so here goes:

I received book 029 of the first 200 of the Authors Limited Edition of Kriegsmodell, A Collectors Guide to K98k Production In The Last Months of WW2. I would like to obtain, if at all possible, book 029 of the first 200 books of the new book, when it becomes available. Was a list kept of who received these first 200 books that were issued and will those same people be given first opportunity to purchase the new book once it comes out? Again, I apologize if somene answered this question several months ago and I forgot. It's just that I found this volume to be extremely helpful and moreover, I kind of look at it as a collector's item in its own right. I would like to one day have book 029 of all volumes that Michael Steves and Bruce Karem put out on the K98k.

Thanks again,

Brad Kavanaugh

P.S. Do you have an approximate date when we can pre-order the next book and is the book getting close to going to press? Sorry for seeming so anxious, but this for me is like a kid who can't wait to open the presents under the Christmas Tree! Christmas morning can never seem to come soon enough. Thanks again, BK

Last edited:
I received book 029 of the first 200 of the Authors Limited Edition of Kriegsmodell, A Collectors Guide to K98k Production In The Last Months of WW2. I would like to obtain, if at all possible, book 029 of the first 200 books of the new book, when it becomes available. Was a list kept of who received these first 200 books that were issued and will those same people be given first opportunity to purchase the new book once it comes out?

Mike kept a list for this very purpose.

Vol. 1 update

Ok guys here is the straight poop on VOL. 1 status.

The current size and this is actual page count including lead in and appendixes is over 550 pages. Its a whopper.
Chapter count will be 10 as we are adding a very short scrubbed Gew98/K98k SS conversion section.

The largest chapters are Mauser Oberndorf and J.P Sauer with a page count for those alone at around 230.

We are targeting going to press on June 30 and would expect books by mid-July 2012. Again that is our target date and Mike and I will try and meet that.

One of the delays is the larger size with a much more diverse subject matter, not just K98ks for this volume.

Thats the status for now and we will update as needed. Also we will be printing more than 1000 this time so
we will have some back stock available for some time.

In addition, we would like to get 400-500 copies of Vol.3 (Kriegsmodell) reprinted at the same time.

Thanks for all your support!

Bruce-

super exciting!! just out of curiosity....how do you anticipate volume 2 to match up to volume 1 in terms of length?

Bruce-

super exciting!! just out of curiosity....how do you anticipate volume 2 to match up to volume 1 in terms of length?

We've talked about Vol.2. There is no way Vol.2 will be 550 pages, but should match Kriegsmodell in size. There is actually a lot of stuff to put in there, including wartime reworks, the whole Czech story, Steyr, etc. As we worked on Vol. 1 we have amassed documentation and other items for Vol.2.

We even discussed working on Vol.2 and "Beutewaffen" at the same time. :) Ooops, too much info.

thanks farb! interesting....i would have guessed vol 2 would have been the longest

You might think that, but Vol.1 covers the Weimar period to some degree- 98m's, 98b's, and also covers pre war production at Mauser including Standard Modell, Banner Mausers, Chinese contract, Portugese contract, Japanese contract, yada yada yada......

SS rifle

Denny am bringing my entire "mobile studio" and will be shooting at the room PM Thurs and Fri.
I will check with Mike tomorrow and let you know. Likely we would like to put this one in even as (if I am not mistaken)
converted in 1939?

Thanks and much appreciated.
You are as always a true gentleman!

Regards,
Bruce

39 SS Conversion

Denny we are good to go and would like to photograph it either Thurs or Fri. PM in a controlled situation (ie with good lights).
I will be shooting other guns anyway in our hotel room (with lights of which I am bringing) so we can work out how we can get together!

Thanks,
Bruce

Volume 1, Chapter 10

I just finished spending several hours proof-reading the K98k Accessories chapter of Vol. 1, and all I can say is "WOW".
If the rest of the book is of the same caliber (no pun intended), this will be required reading for everyone from the casual collector to the serious student. Vol. 3 was great, but I'm anticipating this one being even better. I'm already looking forward to Vol. 2 - what's the holdup, guys?
Bruce & Mike - for a couple of yokels, ya done good and we all appreciate your work!

I am so glad Mike already paid for my copy :thumbsup::biggrin1:

Of course, there was hardship with that trade... guy claimed the GENUINE sniper I sold was a faked one because of the stuff I traded Mike when HE made a repro sniper... EEEK. That whole affair was a cluster fudge.

Hourly, daily, or weekly reminders? I can arrange all 3 :)

I still want book 69... my favourite number... :)

Kreigsmodell Book

Does anybody know the status of the reprint of the Kreigsmodell book? I thought it was supposed to be sometime in August 2012.

Thanks

We are printing both books again at the same time. Printing will be in August, but probably won't be back from the printers until September, so both books will be released at the same time.

Military Rifle Journal
Back