Third Party Press

new k98 owner

I just picked up a all matching byf44 and was wondering is there a oil you put on the stock that helps preserve the wood and what oil do you put on the metal also.I thanks for the help

I use a very light wipe of Hoppes #9 on the metal. If the wood isn't dried out, leave it. Less is better with wood.

Welcome to the forum fellow Texan. :welcome: You will find it to be an invaluable source of knowledge for your new mauser. Me personally, I use Boiled Linseed oil but I hear that pure Tung oil is much better.

Leave the wood alone. Leave the metal alone. Whatever you do do not use "steel wool" for whatever reason

Yes let’s see some pictures of your new rifle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As with any metal object, especially a valuable gun, you should protect the metal from corrosion with a modern gun oil. Even the German military agree to that.
A light coat, not dripping into the wood. Old tooth brush for spreading it into hard to reach spaces and of course the bore. The German's invented Ballistol in 1874 and recommended it on firearms and as far as I can tell, it works fine. It can also be used on wood and is eco friendly/non carcinogen.
Welcome to an addicting hobby.

Leave the wood alone. Leave the metal alone. Whatever you do do not use "steel wool" for whatever reason

Very solid advice right here.

I'd have to add...lightly oil. Dry where metal touches wood.
No rust? Keep clean and it's g2g.

Military Rifle Journal
Back