Third Party Press
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Top 11 Most Common codes/yrs

Quote Originally Posted by mowzerluvr View Post
    Nice work. I have a Norway 1938 bSw, still in Norway though. Can't get it shipped out of the country.
    Boo Hoo! As if you need another.

I had a chance to get a mint all matching 43' DOT (Understanding is they aren't "rare" but are scarce) at auction last summer and my dumba$$ passed on it for 800 because funds were tight at the time. New to collecting.. Learned my lesson. Still working on my time machine.

Good info Bob. Maybe add a 1-5 next to your rankings for scarcity? and sticky the post? This could be a great resource.

Wow was BBOTW ever wrong about byf43&4 production. I guess that Law assumed each letter block was 100,000 rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob in OHIO View Post
    ... revision due...
    I see it above, thanks! I ask because in all of my years of collecting I've seen only one matching byf 42 that wasn't a RC, so I purchased it. I assumed these are rare because they went to the eastern front and were lost. Mine:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wanted: K98 Dou-42 bolt 5235b, and Port. bayonet G19383

This is great info. Is there an equivalent 10 Least common codes list?

Hey Buddy, is that an E/4 in your pocket?

Quote Originally Posted by WreckTangle View Post
    Boo Hoo! As if you need another.

I had a chance to get a mint all matching 43' DOT (Understanding is they aren't "rare" but are scarce) at auction last summer and my dumba$$ passed on it for 800 because funds were tight at the time. New to collecting.. Learned my lesson. Still working on my time machine.

Good info Bob. Maybe add a 1-5 next to your rankings for scarcity? and sticky the post? This could be a great resource.
    Actually, I got another 1937 bSw yesterday.. heh heh

Quote Originally Posted by mowzerluvr View Post
    Actually, I got another 1937 bSw yesterday.. heh heh
    Whatever!

Keeper of the Def's Head M1903A3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tsmgguy View Post
    I see it above, thanks! I ask because in all of my years of collecting I've seen only one matching byf 42 that wasn't a RC, so I purchased it. I assumed these are rare because they went to the eastern front and were lost. Mine:
    Your suspicion on the fate of most byf 42 rifles is interesting and I think likely true. I have often wondered about the breakdown of guns and equipment (and of course men) sent to the horrors of the eastern front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by M1903A3 View Post
    Your suspicion on the fate of most byf 42 rifles is interesting and I think likely true. I have often wondered about the breakdown of guns and equipment (and of course men) sent to the horrors of the eastern front.

I also believe that the Eastern Front theory is plausible and in this case my Norwegian data ist interesting. Like I said before, the most common production years of K98k in Norway are 1941, 1940 and 1939.

In this diagram are K98k of all manufacturer/assembler and the percentage of the respective production years:
    All manufacturer.jpg

It can be clearly seen that in 1942 in general significantly less K98k came to Norway, in 1943 the number increases again a bit. Just 6,67% of the K98k in Norway are 1942 production.

More important is the percentage of K98k manufacturer/assembler in some production years and here is Mauser Oberndorf:

1938 - 25%
    1939 - 23%
    1940 - 20%
    1941 - 36%
    1942 - 8%
    1943 - 35%

Percentage of the production year 1942 in Norway:

Berlin-Lübecker Maschinenfabrik - 40%
    Gustloff-Werke - 32%
    Steyr-Daimler-Puch - 12%
    Mauser Oberndorf - 8%
    Mauser Berlin-Borsigwalde - 4%
    Waffenwerke Brünn Werk II - 4%

Regards,
    Stephan

[QUOTE=WreckTangle;264135]Boo Hoo! As if you need another.

Do you think I should tell him about the two matching ones I just located?

Quote Originally Posted by M1903A3 View Post

There was a matched walnut one at the last Dallas DACA show, Pzjgr spotted it walking around, couldn’t be bought though. It’s interesting reading division equipment allocations, breaking down every weapon type, field kitchen, pot and pan they were issued haha. The Barbarossa documents are interesting as well showing the build up of equipment for the kick off.