Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not a German Bayonet But...!

Default Not a German Bayonet But...!

A fellow collector sent me this auction link. Can't say I have ever seen this most unusual German knife (I am sure rare doesn't even begin to describe it!). Note the blade is definitely designed along S84/98 T3 lines. My expectation this was made by either Eickhorn or Horster...

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item...-s-knife-dager
    Last edited by pwcosol; 03-26-2019 at 10:16 AM.

Definitely intriguing, and I love the screw-in scabbard. It's a different topic in itself, but did the KM ever really have much of a NSW capability?
    For My Fallen Brothers:
    WW 2001
    WS 2004
    MD 2009
    JH 2009
    ER 2009
    DS 2009
    DN 2009
    WB 2014

Never Forgotten.

Strange, some exist with KM proofs but with messing design and inoxydable blade, this looks like made from S84/98 blade? b.r.Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Definitely intriguing, and I love the screw-in scabbard. It's a different topic in itself, but did the KM ever really have much of a NSW capability?
    Well, they certainly had hard hat divers, and this looks a lot like a USN Divers knife...except the USN version was all brass except the stainless steel blade...

The USN Divers used it for a cutting tool, especially if they got entangled in some lines for example. This one looks a little more fighting knife, which wouldn't make much sense, don't think a lot of undersea combat took place between warring hard hat divers...

The Germans also had their combat swimmers, so it could be something they used...

Interesting, but I would think caution is in order unless you can find some photographic evidence (and more than on blurry shot of a hard hat diver...)

If real, its damned cool!

Combat swimmers are what I had in mind. Iím also kind of surprised they didnít have a lanyard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    For My Fallen Brothers:
    WW 2001
    WS 2004
    MD 2009
    JH 2009
    ER 2009
    DS 2009
    DN 2009
    WB 2014

Never Forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Combat swimmers are what I had in mind. Iím also kind of surprised they didnít have a lanyard.

Yeah, it would seem proper for them...but it has a scabbard just like the USN diving knife...If you were a combat swimmer, and needed your knife in a hurry, it would be cumbersome to have to unscrew it from the cylindrical sheath...but maybe I am just overthinking things...

No, thatís sound thinking!

For My Fallen Brothers:
    WW 2001
    WS 2004
    MD 2009
    JH 2009
    ER 2009
    DS 2009
    DN 2009
    WB 2014

Never Forgotten.

The training camp for German combat divers/swimmers was in Valdagno (Italy). IIRR their entire equipment was of Italian origin.
    Attached photo is from a late war newspaper. You can see the Italian divers knife on the far right.
    Attached Images Attached Images

After thinking about the German diver knife and that used during the same time by the United States Navy (which in some respects shares a few features...notably a "beehive" pattern wooden grip), my thoughts are:

1. The US diver's knife is far more robust, double edged and acted as much a knife as a tool...to pry, chop or cut (with "stab" perhaps the least effective use).
    2. The German knife seems more of a defensive weapon, with stab it's primary function and cutting a secondary one. As a "tool" it would have very limited use.
    3. Since hard-hat divers were tied to an umbilical (for retrieval, air supply and communication), and sallied forth on their mission from either a dock/wharf, surface ship, or submarine, the last thing they would ever deal with was an enemy combatant. Dangerous marine life might be an issue, but a exceedingly rare encounter. The diver's real concern was moving around in conditions with poor visibility among sharp wreckage, tangled metal, wood, nets, ropes and steel cables. In this environment the USN pattern knife could prove to be a life-saver. The German...not so much.