Third Party Press

Japanese inspected Standard-Modell

bruce98k

Super Over the Top Moderator -1/2
Staff member
Got really lucky on this one and thanks to the auction house for not posting close up images of the Japanese technical inspection stamp.
This is only third documented one found, and the serial number list is very short:

72865 (Captured in Sasebo but no technical inspection mark)

My opinion is that most of the new Standard-Modells found in the 65xxx to 75xxx serial number range are Pacific theater bringbacks.
These very few went through a secondary inspection and bear the small acceptance stamp located just rear of the rear lower sling swivel.

For more background on these rifles, refer to Volume I, pages 163-164 and in the Appendix section A10.

Attachments

• DSC_0037a.jpg
    DSC_0037a.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC_0030a.jpg
    DSC_0030a.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC_0017a.jpg
    DSC_0017a.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 124
  • DSC_0021a.jpg
    DSC_0021a.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC_0028a.jpg
    DSC_0028a.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 144
  • DSC_0026a.jpg
    DSC_0026a.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 113
  • DSC_2012a.jpg
    DSC_2012a.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
B, that’s an epic find!! Really cool. Do you know what Japanese arsenal accepted it?

Wow now THAT is some find! One of three known. Amazing!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Standard Modells for Japan

Andrew, I have to contact Dr. Libby in Maine regarding these rifles.
We will be publishing new information most of which were supplied by Ken Tomonari in Japan.
I had emailed him regarding the Kanji acceptance stamp and damn if he didnt find some original
Japanese military documents regarding acceptance of "Mauser" rifles.

I am hoping that Dr. Libby can translate the Japanese Imperial Army documents and will give
us new insight into the acceptance and inspection of the the group of Mauser system rifles
that the Japanese military acquired - these being the VZ24, K98k, and Standard Modell.

Hot Damn that Rifle looks even better than the few pics posted at the Auction listing .
Bruce told me about this rifle when he found it and I held my breath hoping no else would find it . Great Pics of Rare Rifle . :thumbsup:

Bruce, be careful when you handle that rifle. You could cut your fingers on those grasping grooves! Beautiful piece.

We will be publishing new information most of which were supplied by Ken Tomonari in Japan.
I had emailed him regarding the Kanji acceptance stamp and damn if he didnt find some original

I am hoping that Dr. Libby can translate the Japanese Imperial Army documents and will give
us new insight into the acceptance and inspection of the the group of Mauser system rifles
that the Japanese military acquired - these being the VZ24, K98k, and Standard Modell.

You are the Indiana Jones of Mausers......Congrats!!

I am very curious as to how these got to Japan and what, if any, was their effect. Why were they there, and who arranged for them to be sent? Very cool rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bruce, what year do you think these were sent to Japan?

This is a really fascinating period in history. If you are not familiar with Dan Carlin and his Hardcore History podcast, I highly recommend it. I just listened to his 2 episodes titled "Supernova in the East" that talks about Japan in the buildup to WW2. He discusses German/Japanese relations during the 30s quite a bit. These rifles have to fit right into that. This is a total guess but Germany and Japan signed some anticommunist treaties (1936) around when I am guessing these were recieved and are probably something to do with that relationship. The second Sino Japanese war started in 1937 so maybe these were part of the build up?

If you have an extra 8.5 hours, listen to the podcast! I also HIGHLY reccomend his WW1 episodes entitled Blueprint for Armageddon. https://www.dancarlin.com/hardcore-history-series/

Military Rifle Journal
Back