Third Party Press

Zf41 on Pre98 Fake numbering on mount

Wanted to point this out as some have asked my opinion on this. I have no doubt the mount numbering is fake. Nice rifle but not worth the asking price.

https://pre98.com/shop/new-arrivals...nated-marksman-rifle-all-matching-very-crisp/

You are correct. That is a nice rifle, but that price is crazy. I know someone who got this same code ZF41 on Gunbroker a couple of years ago for $2800, which was obviously under the radar. No way is any ZF41 worth what Pre98 is asking.

the cursive {A } is a dead give away... I cant really see the #'s but it really doesn't matter...

Don't waste your time trying to inform Scotty as he's smarter then you and wont listen.... I tried to help him on his humped up matching K43 sniper rig.. Never again.:facepalm:

Craig, yours is a perfect example. Hope you don't mind me sharing better pictures of it. Notice also that Pre98s example doesn't have the serial number on the rings. And Zf41 mounts aren't stamped. Some took an original late war un-numbered mount and numbered it to match.

And for the record, if this was a legit matching rifle then I would pay that price. Matching ZF41s are extremely difficult to find.

ar43 example
DSC_0121.jpgDSC_0123a.jpg

ar42 example
IMG_5867a.jpgIMG_5913.jpg

correct. Engraved not stamped and small block letter a not cursive.. that's a copy of a JPS or Berlin lubeck type cursive a. who has the spare time to burst Scotty's bubble ????

It already sold.

Pictures of the rifle. Also, they used the wrong letter prefix on the mount. The rifle is a d block and the mount has an a.
bcd3-1024x684.jpgbcd4-1024x684.jpgbcd5-1024x684.jpgbcd12-1024x684.jpgbcd15-1024x684.jpg

LOL ... factory error they were in a rush as these were in high demand at the Russian front !!! :facepalm:

But!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It looks like it had all the giblets!!!!!

On a more serious note, thanks for posting the correct ones. I never knew either way and nice to see correct ones and what they should look like.

I read or was told that these scopes were for the ones that couldn’t hit crap very well with iron sights so they issued these out to them? I have no idea either way.

I read or was told that these scopes were for the ones that couldn’t hit crap very well with iron sights so they issued these out to them? I have no idea either way.

The opposite. It was a German WW2 DMR. They were issued to proficient shooters who would serve the same function as a “Designated Marksman” today. They were to provide accurate rifle fire at the unit level. However, that little 1.5x left much to be desired. The Russians got it right with the PU.

The opposite. It was a German WW2 DMR. They were issued to proficient shooters who would serve the same function as a “Designated Marksman” today. They were to provide accurate rifle fire at the unit level. However, that little 1.5x left much to be desired. The Russians got it right with the PU.

That may have been the idea, but it wasn't what I've heard in use. We (reenactment group I was in) showed a ZF41 to a WaffenSS Wiking division guy and asked if he ever saw a sniper rifle like that, he laughed at us and said "That isn't a sniper, that is the rifle you give to the worst shot in the group so in a firefight he may be useful". Just saying.

That may have been the idea, but it wasn't what I've heard in use. We (reenactment group I was in) showed a ZF41 to a WaffenSS Wiking division guy and asked if he ever saw a sniper rifle like that, he laughed at us and said "That isn't a sniper, that is the rifle you give to the worst shot in the group so in a firefight he may be useful". Just saying.

You should spend more time actually studying and researching and less time listening to stories. I’d recommend the K98k book series.

You should spend more time actually studying and researching and less time listening to stories. I’d recommend the K98k book series.

Overpriced books, I've read Deputy's review on Amazon. Stupid books have MP44's in them, what a joke. Coffee table books at best.

Overpriced books, I've read Deputy's review on Amazon. Stupid books have MP44's in them, what a joke. Coffee table books at best.

Yes well, collect by committee with Shooter Ike then. No need for silly books with muses like that.

Effectively, I’d rather a K98k than a Zf.41, so there is likely merit to the vet remark on that. I note that period pics show the Zf.41 in use by guys who look like they know what they are doing in a DMR / sniping roll. Again, I’ve got a lot of rounds out of K98ks and I wouldn’t want a Zf.41 over a standard K98k.

Yes well, collect by committee with Shooter Ike then. No need for silly books with muses like that.

Effectively, I’d rather a K98k than a Zf.41, so there is likely merit to the vet remark on that. I note that period pics show the Zf.41 in use by guys who look like they know what they are doing in a DMR / sniping roll. Again, I’ve got a lot of rounds out of K98ks and I wouldn’t want a Zf.41 over a standard K98k.

I could be a difference without distinction - as issued your scenario would be true, but they stopped making them early 1944 due to the uselessness of the platform, at which time rifles in use with scopes were probably used as normal 98k's. The late ZF41 rifles were supposedly meant for Volkssturm use, which essentially bolsters my point. So we are both right. :thumbsup:

Military Rifle Journal
Back