Third Party Press

Showing how serial number data base can help

Tiger 2 Tank

Hello fellow collectors. I was doing my usual late night updates to my G/K.43 serial number listings. I ran across an auction for K.43 qve45 #9431e. Here is what I had a year prior to this new auction:

“stamped action cover”, “gas cylinder #896X?” (probably couldn’t read it well) and it came from New York area.

Rifle now has:

“milled G.41 style action cover” and gas cylinder is confirmed #7268. Rifle is now in Fairfax, VA.

Just interesting how rifles change up sometimes. The “G.41 style action cover” is for these qve45 rifles a thing collectors love to see. So, don’t know if that was an attempt at trying to bolster the rifle up for a better sale or what. Maybe not, who knows. All it needs now is a Durofol hand guard and the collector bases are covered (except for the sanded stock and mismatch parts of course).

Last edited:
Just an assembly of parts from various rifles, with issues. Estimated price too high.

https://live.amoskeagauction.com/m/lot-details/index/catalog/7/lot/173/?url=%2Fm%2Fsearch

115_0.jpg

I have seen rifles changed up many times.
I think it honestly happens for many reasons: restoration, collector enhancement, greed, etc.
Sometimes people just like to swap out parts as they 'look better' or the collector feels they are 'more correct'. Two perfect examples is I have a friend that likes swapping refurb Mosin Nagant bands to match the receiver, when in reality they are refurb rifles and it just doesn't matter. Or I had two K98 Grenade Launching sets purchased from two separate locations over a period of two years. Upon close inspection one set had a wrench with engraved markings of the original person who captured it. Upon further inspection the cup on the other set was engraved to the same person. So for whatever reason, someone else had both sets previously and decided to swap parts between sets for whatever reason? In that case I put all the engraved pieces back together in one set. However, who knows how many hands the sets had been in prior to their purchase.

Serial # and data study

No question it is definitely beneficial to have this information ! I also do the serial # , and data on ac45 dated Rifles. The fact that you are doing all of them, and you actually are listing complete data is a plus.
Rick

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back