Third Party Press

Simson 1916 depot Gew 98

If I have anything on barrel blank ordering, it would be something Jon Speed sent years ago, I have it organized, but not that organized (to find specialized subjects, it isn't indexed, more like month-year and content); I remember Jon sending me significant numbers of invoice like material from the various suppliers, not for ordering blanks necessarily, rather for letter heads and illustrating the steel mills involved, much of this was WWII era.

My purpose is not in trying to interpret blank codes or their patterns, rather my intention is to find which steel makers supplied which firm, how often and if possible to see if the lots are progressive (as a generalized tool to date rifles from barrels, which is to some degree possible, because of the acceptance found on barrels, - acceptance generally falls in ranges, even for Danzig which is so diverse it defies normal trending sometimes). Also the variation of the codes used, which aids is identifying rifles with limited pictures or details, - often I can guess a maker by a barrel alone, typically a general date range.

Anyway, probably for other superficial reasons also, - I like steel making firms also, so i like to track what and who they supplied, though generally i have collected so many articles and pieces of data it is like hunting for something in a hoarders home, you may know you have it but finding it is next to impossible, even I can spend an hour or more searching for something in my files, which are fairly organized.

Either way, if this project is a boondoggle, or waste of time, it wouldn't be the first. Besides, this is not an attempt at an academic study, though most academic studies I have seen are on equally superficial subjects or "problems". Perhaps if I can link a study on German military rifle barrel codes to transgender (trannies) predilections, or black housewives television viewing in the afternoon on Wednesdays, or the favorite sex toys among white lesbians from Minneapolis during 2014-2016 I too could get a federal grant?

:laugh: With those topics, you should have ample grant money!

Not trying say this project/subject would be a waste of time, my wife adamitely has informed me it is all a waste of time. My comments were not to dissuade, more an objective comment mentioning that you were walking into a lake of quicksand whether you knew it or not (you know better than most of us!). The rest of us of course enjoy sitting and conversing, perhaps sipping a stout, while watching you struggle. Every once and awhile throwing you a line when your head goes under.

Seriously though, it is a very interesting subject, and one I have casually kept an eye on over the years. Studying the Suhl gunmakers and trying to tie the strings from the little guys to the big guys, and from the one man shops to the little guys, all comes across as very interesting to me. Further to tie the steel makers to the gunmakers only adds another interesting facet. In the sporting rifle world, it gets even more muddied, big shops making guns for little shops, little shops making guns for big shops. Dates, times, marks, names, towns, history of an area, it all is very interesting. On more than one occasion I have THOUGHT I was getting close to getting something sorted out, only to have to walk away for a period before my head exploded.

..a basic target at a hundred yards but I thought the rifle grouped pretty good for something that wasn't zero to me and hadn't been shot for so long.

You should be pretty happy right now. Nice way to complete the loop and bring this piece all the way back.

Thanks HM personally I think it's really neat to bring life back into these old firearms. Plus watching and capturing the whole process of loading and shooting one of these rifles is neat too.

Attachments

• VC 1.jpg
    VC 1.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 33
  • VC 7.jpg
    VC 7.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 29
  • VC 5.jpg
    VC 5.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 25
  • VC 6.jpg
    VC 6.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 27
  • VC 8.jpg
    VC 8.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 26
  • VC 3.jpg
    VC 3.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 23
  • VC 4.jpg
    VC 4.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 30
  • VC 2.jpg
    VC 2.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 25
Good to see you working that Simson! I really never spent much time shooting them, even today where I can shoot from my front porch I rarely shoot them...

Last edited:
Well I didn't get those arms just from baling hay I try to lift at least four times a week to keep myself in shape. Plus being an electrician helps keep me in shape to constantly going up and down ladders all day and constantly working. I also try to least run a couple times a week as well but depends on how busy we get, less and less time to work out as much.

And you need to do some more shooting hell if you need ammo I can send you some Paul!

Military Rifle Journal
Back