Third Party Press

Standard Modell laminated stock

Hello gentlemen,

Can you give me, please, more information about a Mauser banner Standard Modell SN : B78984 with a cupped laminated stock.
I found this rifle 20 years ago, among a next door neighbour & he had the unchanged rifle since 1940. (All my Mausers (20) were found within a radius of 10km from home).
I think I have a good documentation about Mauser rifle but this Standard Modell is not in.

Some remarks with the photos.
- The laminated stock had one proof mark under the pistol grip: Eagle WaA 135 (Mauser Werke).
- The matching SN is ONLY stamped inside the stock with a hand overwrite mention (Standard ????)
& inside the handguard. No others outside marks : SN, Eagle, WaA etc.
- No eagle proof marks on the metallic pieces except a scratched eagle 6X (63 Mauser Werke) on the rear sight slide.
- Note the star & the X (2x) on the rear sight.
- Trigger guard & floor plate with SN + , but without WaA marks.
- Flat steel lower band with SN.

The bolt was on the rifle when I receive it.
SN not match with the rifle.

Please what is this Mauser. Thank you for replies.
Best regards from Alsace , France.
Carfin.

R1.jpgR2.jpgR3.jpgR4.jpgR5.jpgR6.jpgR7.jpgR8.jpgR25.jpgR26.jpg

Bolt is from a G.33/40. The rest? I find it hard (actually impossible) to believe nothing has been changed since 1940 - at a minimum the cupped buttplate stock is from 1941 and after... looks like some kind of rework from parts, but the bands are not typical 98k parts. You may never know that real story of it.

Time to re-write your story... Waa135 proof wasn't used till 42

Bug proofs on rifle are pre-40. looks like an assembled rifle made to look correct... IMHO But isn't.

Craig Brown owned this rifles twin brother, - shared characteristics anyway... Unfortunately I do not have access to good pictures of it, only CB's description from 2010 and the Amoskeag auction text. Consecutive numbers, similar configuration, perhaps this rifle is also BGS related. The border police seemed to have a thing for standard modells, at least two known, and Alsace is a border region (some might argue part of Germany in any legitimate/objective debate, - at least 75 years ago, linguistically and ethnically, - though losing two wars in a row kind of ended that debate)

11-19-2010 10:31 PM #12
WaPrüf2
View Profile
View Forum Posts
Private Message
Add as Contact
Send Email

B78983 barrelled action with c.1944 remaining components, walnut e/WaA135 stock, no e/H, cup buttplate, front sight hood; all matched.
B56136 lower band swivel deleted and side bracket added; butt swivel deleted but mounting plate and screws retained; front sight hood; stock relieved for bolt clearance; bent bolt mismatched; sling slot in butt; BGS (Bundesgrenzschutz) stamped on barrel left, receiver left, and branded into butt left.
Last edited by WaPrüf2; 11-19-2010 at 10:41 PM.

1494. Interesting Reworked German Standard Modell Bolt Action Rifle by Mauser Oberndorf
Click on images for enlarged versions.

Zoom

serial #B78983, 8mm Mauser, 24" barrel with a very good bore that shows some scattered light pitting but strong rifling. The metal surfaces of this undated Mauser Banner marked rifle are turning a dull brown patina with the receiver and floorplate retaining some of the arsenal blue finish, and some scattered spots of oxidation and some scattered light pitting on the triggerguard and rear sight leaf. The mid-war K98k stock rates very good with an armory oil finish, a crisp "(Eagle)/WaA135" Waffenamt on pistolgrip, 2" area of circular armorer repairs on the right side, a 1/2" chip at front of handguard, three deep 1 1/4" scratches on underside of stock between bands, a 1/2" chip between bands on left side with a deep 1 3/4" scratch protruding from it and some scattered dings, handling marks and smaller scratches. The bolt parts, triggerguard, and floorplate are matching, while the rear band appears to match but the latter numbers are indiscernible and the remaining parts are unnumbered and both the front of triggerguard and the rear sight leaf are marked with an "X". A correct leather sling in very good condition is included which may be a reproduction. An interesting standard Modell that likely had a long service life. (207879-94) {C&R} [Craig Brown Collection] (600/800)SOLD FOR $690.00

Attachments

• 1494.jpg
    1494.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 56
That explains the rear band, post war replacement part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello gentlemen,

All excuses, asking the neighbour, He piched it up in 01/1945.

Thank you very much for the replies.
Best regards from Alsace , France.
Carfin.

Military Rifle Journal
Back