Third Party Press

BYF 44, Duffle Cut, Ser No. 11682

PI1192

Gents. My pal at work just was going through his deceased fathers gun safe and found an "old beat up rifle" (his words) for me to ID. He brought this to work today, and what a find it is.

Numbers matching, no import mark, duffle cut. Pretty cool to find this after many years not even knowing what it was or when his dad picked it up. This is proof that they are still out there waiting to be discovered.

The upper hand guard is cracked in half, and I had to hold it together to take a pic of the serial number inside.

Enjoy.

Attachments

• Full length.jpg
    Full length.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 133
  • Top of Action.jpg
    Top of Action.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 125
  • Side Serial No.jpg
    Side Serial No.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 133
  • Side proof mark 135.jpg
    Side proof mark 135.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 115
  • trigger guard proof mark.jpg
    trigger guard proof mark.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 108
  • hand guard serial no.jpg
    hand guard serial no.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 102
  • Bolt Serial No.jpg
    Bolt Serial No.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 108
  • duffle cut.jpg
    duffle cut.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 112
  • side of stock.jpg
    side of stock.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 94
  • magazine plate serial no.jpg
    magazine plate serial no.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 114
No letter blocks in 1944 should have full SN on FP & Tg? Looks like a nice rifle tho.

If it had milled tg/fp it would have probably had full serial, however if they have the stamped parts like this there is less surface to put the numbers on. this one is fine, textbook example. Nice byf44. !!

A few more pics.

I also found another acceptance stamp under the stock about five inches away from the stamp by the trigger guard. Very hard to see but it's there.

Attachments

• rear sight serial no.jpg
    rear sight serial no.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 40
  • top  serial no.jpg
    top serial no.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 48
  • barrel band serial no.jpg
    barrel band serial no.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 41
If it had milled tg/fp it would have probably had full serial, however if they have the stamped parts like this there is less surface to put the numbers on. this one is fine, textbook example. Nice byf44. !!

Thanks for the clarification. Everything else looked good. That is a nice find.

Yep, nice example. A really nice no letter.

I would be interested in the barrel code and bolt acceptance pics if you have them.

A couple more pics uploaded. Thanks

Attachments

• bolt.jpg
    bolt.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 26
  • barrel proof.jpg
    barrel proof.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 32
Apologies for my ignorance gentleman and ladies, I am trying to educate myself here.. what does duffle cut mean?

You may flame me later!

Cheers for the help!

Apologies for my ignorance gentleman and ladies, I am trying to educate myself here.. what does duffle cut mean?

You may flame me later!

Cheers for the help!

I recently discovered this newfangled gadget on the interwebs, I think it's called "frugal" or "bugle" or "doodle" or something. It reminds me of my ex-wife: It knows EVERYTHING!

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHZL_enUS703US703&biw=1506&bih=729&ei=wnGwXOb2LZK5ggeC9LyACA&q=duffle+cut&oq=duffle+cut&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0l5j0i22i30l5.1860116.1865547..1866224...0.0..0.97.994.14......0....1..gws-wiz.....0..0i71j0i131i67j0i67j0i131j0i10.1u45IufLZ9A

Thanks for that, I now understand.

Welcome to the K98 club. The duffle cut is a U.S. specific feature and wasn't going practice with soldiers of other nations returning home from WW2 with captured spoils of war.
It usually doesn't diminish the value of the rifle unless the cut was done really bad or in a location making no sense, like halfway down the length of the stock. Duffle cuts used to establish provenance as personal bring-backs carried home by returning WW2 vets until some scum bags applied cuts to post-war imported rifles with the goal of raising value by making them fake war trophies.

Military Rifle Journal
Back