Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mosin Nagant M.91/30 PEM Top Mount Sniper

Default Mosin Nagant M.91/30 PE Top Mount Sniper

Yes, I know this forum is dedicated on the K98k rifle .. still, the M.91/30 was one of its mayor competitor (on the field) and since I collect sniper rifles generally and not only German I thought it would be interesting for some in here to see my newest acquisition. While it is not perfect since the mount and scope sitting on it were not the original ones it came from factory, it still is as close I've managed to get to all original. This rifle was never capture marked, reblued, reproofed, been through arsenal refurb nor anything else. And fortunately I have had a spare top mount, not only in the same letter prefix as the sniper conversion/assembly number, but only a few digits off (525 on base and 575 on mount).

Well, attached are some pictures. I hope you enjoy them. Note the sniper conversion/assembly number on the right side of the scope base and bottom of the receiver. Interestingly this rifle has this number also stamped in the finger groove on the left side - I've never seen this before, but it must have had some connection. Also note the C N sniper proof above the star on the barrel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Absolut; 04-08-2019 at 05:05 AM.

Rest of the pictures. Note the walnut stock - while it was planned that all snipers should have them, due to a lack of those not many were made at all. In my opinion these PE sniper rifles are extremely much harder to find than any other WWII sniper rifle. Captured rifles were not brought home as trophies, and most were too scared to hide away a Russian sniper rifle, in case they were caught. Hence I'm quite proud of this one and I hope you appreciate showing it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Absolut; 04-08-2019 at 05:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Absolut View Post
    Rest of the pictures. Note the walnut stock - while it was planned that all snipers should have them, due to a lack of those not many were made at all. In my opinion these PEM sniper rifles are extremely much harder to find than any other WWII sniper rifle. Captured rifles were not brought home as trophies, and most were too scared to hide away a Russian sniper rifle, in case they were caught. Hence I'm quite proud of this one and I hope you appreciate showing it.
    You have a treasure with original PE mount and scope. On the wood,I am not seeing Walnut, looks like beech. Our logging roads here have been used for over 100 years. I have traveled them and used them for 60 years. I have about a hundred Black Walnuts on my property. That does not look like Walnut, Am. or Euro, Walnut that looked like that? I am not convinced on the wood type but hope I am wrong.

I have also never seen a rifle with numbers in the finger grooves? Never say never. You have a treasure regardless. You get the good stuff so hopfully we can learn form your rifle. Thanks for posting and we look forward to more validation of your rifle and I prefer to be wrong in a case like this.
    Last edited by mike radford; 04-06-2019 at 03:52 PM.

A really nice rifle in beautiful condition.

Nice PE. I donít think itís walnut either.
    Actually I am the master of REAL information! Cartoon characters like you have no real arguments.
    - ShooterIke at gunboards

Beavis the Cornholio mdarnell19's Avatar

Great rifle, although not a PEM. It is a PE top mount. PEM was the modified PE scope. Stock is not walnut.

This is the most complete and original PE Top mount I have ever seen. Basically impossible to find. Thanks for the pictures.

Hello,

The first small СП size font I have ever seen on a sniper of the 118 I have recorded.

later
    vaughn

That is a very nice example.
    Thanks for postin it.
    Not a common rifle.
    Yep, very nice.

That is what you get when you have your girlfriend sitting next to you and asking questions while you are typing in this forum - of course it is a PE top mount and not a PEM. Sorry, I've tried but couldn't edit the thread title. Can a moderator be of help?

Thank you for the kind comments. I'm also looking forward to see this rifle on an excellent website for reference.

Beavis the Cornholio mdarnell19's Avatar

Also, I can't see the base letter prefix to well but it looks like it is a Л while the base is П. These are two different letter blocks. L and P. So your mount and base are not from the same month/letter block. Not that it matters much, mismatch is mismatch. But don't be disappointed, I have never seen or even heard of a Top mount or side mount that was 100% matching.
    Last edited by mdarnell19; 04-08-2019 at 08:46 PM.