Third Party Press

G-K43 Stock and Trade Question

GetFuzzy2

Greetings, I only have this one picture from my friend who put a down payment on this G43, "dated 44, he is not a German collecting and only noticed the date not manufacturer". He knows from the seller the butt plate was reattached for whatever reason somewhere along the line but that is the only thing wrong with it. It comes with the correct 4x German Scope, cezk scope mount, scope box, sling and three mags. He's paying$3,000. My question is that a responsible price for what is listed aslong as it all checks out, can the butt plate be fitted better? Also is it worth a trade of an all maching byf 44 and Rem 1917 with Eagle Heads stamps? I'll post more pictures on Tuesday when he gets the rifle in hand. Thanks for your time and in put.

Attachments

• 25007.jpg
    25007.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 146
So what is wrong with the stock that makes it so bad other than the butt plate is un-centered, do you think the stock was also sanded and varnished? Also what is B/P? Thanks Waffen, he has till Tuesday to back out.

Someone probably cut that stock back and put a recoil pad on it, then tried to go back. That thing is messed up for that kind of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not such a bad deal

I'm not so sure it's a terrible deal. Consider the going rate for the other items: scope $600+; mount $150+; 2 mags @ $275 = $550+; scope box ? $250? totals up to at least $1550. That leaves the rifle itself for $1450, which isn't too bad even if the stock is a mess. It might be repaired by someone with expertise. The caveat: to properly value the rifle would mean seeing some very good pictures. It could be a wreck or a gem.

Last edited:
I'm on the side of 7184, I will have my friend send me better pictures before he pulls the trigger and feild strip it to insure matching numbers. But where can you buy a decent G 43 for 3k?

Really hard to say based on one pic, the two extra mags may be repro? They look slab sided or something, and of course the butt area is a major issue which effects price...

But, if the scope is real, the rubber eyecup and scope cover is good, he says its a Czech mount, but original Czech mounts are worth some bucks...the scope can...

A lot of if's...and a hard one fir someone who doesn't know what he is looking at to know whether to pull the trigger or not...

Assuming everything is good, and the gun matches, I'd beat them down to maybe $2500, and pull the trigger...

The stock MAY be able to be fixed, or possibly find a replacement....

But again, no way to say based on one pic...

Any way to get the serial number (with the letter block) and manufacturer; ac44, duv44? Who knows, I may have history on the rifle as I keep a serial number data base on these. If I don’t have it, it will make a good addition to it.

I’d agree that the stock is pretty bad. Someone definitely shortened it, then put something to add length to it, then put the butt plate on it. I’ll bet your friend will want this as a shooter. So, if that’s the case, he will need a shooter’s kit to tame the recoil. If not, the recoil will eventually make this rifle self destruct. The ammo is different now and the metal used to make the rifle was not made well due to shortages of material that late in the war. Might want to check the back of the receiver to make sure it’s not “bowing” or cracked. Check the bolt carrier too for cracks.

Just for reference there were a decent amount of unsanded G/K’s at SOS many priced right at 3250 and many of them still weren’t selling. With a little patience it shouldn’t be hard to find one like that or maybe for even less.

I'm on the side of 7184, I will have my friend send me better pictures before he pulls the trigger and feild strip it to insure matching numbers. But where can you buy a decent G 43 for 3k?

Just for reference there were a decent amount of unsanded G/K’s at SOS many priced right at 3250 and many of them still weren’t selling. With a little patience it shouldn’t be hard to find one like that or maybe for even less.

Oh if I had only went! That sounds like the Meca of our toy source! But, that’s now a little less than a year away. I usually save up for Tulsa in the Fall, so by the time SOS arrives my ammo ($) is exhasted.

Thank you all for your insight, tiger you are correct. My friend is not a purest and is seeking a historical shooter to have is own side by side compassion to other rifles of the time/war. I'll pass on the your insight about the poor metal work and long term effects of shooting this rifle and to push for $2,500. Again thanks for your help. You all gave me a lot information I did not know.

Told my friend to walk away but he put a down payment on it. It looks like the scope is post war, but scope mount is good with two original mags, manufacturer looks to be ac 44 sn# 6951. He took poor pictures and will have it in hand in a few weeks for a better pictures.

Thanks Again

Attachments

• 25341.jpg
    25341.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 25340.jpg
    25340.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 25342.jpg
    25342.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 25343.jpg
    25343.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 25345.jpg
    25345.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 18
There is certainly a lot going on with that rifle.
The mount looks like it maybe an aged repro and the scope is certainly post-war production.
One of the magazines is a post war reproduction, so I'm suspicious that at least 2x of the magazines are reproduction.
The scope box is likely a reproduction (high quality European origin).
The sight hood also appears reproduction and the butt stock near the butt plate is messed as already discussed.

3K might not be a bad price if someone is knowledgeable and knows exactly what has been done and what can be reversed/restored/parted. There are likely some valuable parts still there and the rifle may still be a shooter at least. Its one of those pieces that I would have to see first hand or have excellent pictures and do the math.

Military Rifle Journal
Back