Third Party Press

Gewehr 98 Zielfernrohrgewehr (Sniper)

peter98

Hello,

here another Sniper, from the Imperial Era, hope it looks better than my K98 Gustloff-Fake.

Best regards
Peter

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 1b.jpg
    1b.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 1c.jpg
    1c.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 97
  • 1d.jpg
    1d.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 1e.jpg
    1e.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 1f.jpg
    1f.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 1g.jpg
    1g.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 1h.jpg
    1h.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 1i.jpg
    1i.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 1j.jpg
    1j.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 48
Well, I know not much about WWII snipers, and even less about WWI, but it looks damned cool to me!

Is it fun to shoot?

Need better pictures, but looks like an eGun special to me, - meaning a fabrication. Then there is the "sniper" aspects, which I will leave to those versed in the subject. The bases, mounts and optics are a whole nother subject.

If you haven't bought it, I wouldn't.

...... hope it looks better than my K98 Gustloff-Fake.

Sorry, but no.

Bases are fake/reproductions.
Scope and rings look original, but put together. Scope likely reblued.
Stock should have a bolt cutout.

Don't buy it, or if you already did, give it back to the seller!

So many problems, receiver looks like it has been polished and the stock has been sanded.

Someone most likely took a once all matching Gew98 rifle.

Cleaned it up, sanded the stock, added fake bases, bent the bolt, and now you have a sniper.

Hello,

here another Sniper, from the Imperial Era, hope it looks better than my K98 Gustloff-Fake.

Best regards
Peter

Yeah if you can return it that's the best bet. Gun looks like an early WMO 1917. Big thing to remember is snipers are only found in the N block of that year for that maker.

In the future, I would post it here first so Wolfgang can see it. Imperial era snipers can be a minefield and require tons of study and dedication if you're going to mess with them. The level of standardization you see in the Nazi era didn't really exist with these in this era.

Ok, thanks to all again.
I can give it back, this is not a problem,
but you destroy my sniper-dreams :laugh:

Best regards
Peter

Authenticity aside, there is some price point at which a rifle like this might be worth buying simply for it's overall visual appeal and functionality, so long as you know exactly what you are buying and pay accordingly. I won't even speculate as to what that price might be for this particular rifle, but assume it would be somewhere in the "sum of the parts" range.

It could be a Mauser receiver, probably 1917, but that receiver FP and serial are not Mauser style for this range. The RR suggests Mauser/1917 but not a-block and the serial fonts and suffix do not compare well. I think this is very possibly a complete fabrication, best guess is that the receiver is a Mauser/1917 from the q-r block with scrubbed LR re-FP and reserialed by a humper (which is fairly common on eGun)

I asked for the RR because the RR seems to C/R C/Dx2, and the style is consistent with Mauser in 1917 (this pattern is only known in the q-r blocks though); the FP is not real, has similarity to Danzig, but certainly not Mauser. The serial and suffix do not compare well with Mauser a-block.

Unfortunately the only way to be sure is to see the RR in detail (close up and clear) and to confirm the BC which is distinctive for Mauser (no one used Mauser's patterns).

Anyway, if eGun is any representation of Germany and Central Europe's market, then Germany, Austria and Poland are as full of crooks as the United States...

Ok, I asked owner again:

It was an original Gewehr 98, not a sniper.
Rest is like you told: bended the bold, sanded the stock.
Installed the mount and the scope. He said both should be original, may be reblued.

Price for the rifle should be 2000,- $

Best regards
Peter

Military Rifle Journal
Back