Third Party Press

Nice box of Dominion .43 Mauser cartridges - Shoot or save?

I picked up a couple boxes of original Dominon/CIL .43 Mauser ammo at a gun show. One box was full, the other had 19 rounds. I have several 71/84 rifles and handload for them. I did shoot up the 19 rounds to get the brass, but I'm wondering whether I should do the same with the complete box. Any opinions? I guess I could pass them on to someone who collects such things. Here's the box full:

Attachments

• IMG_0178 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0178 (Medium).JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0183 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0183 (Medium).JPG
    97 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0180 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0180 (Medium).JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0181 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0181 (Medium).JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0184 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0184 (Medium).JPG
    106 KB · Views: 17
I picked up a couple boxes of original Dominon/CIL .43 Mauser ammo at a gun show. One box was full, the other had 19 rounds. I have several 71/84 rifles and handload for them. I did shoot up the 19 rounds to get the brass, but I'm wondering whether I should do the same with the complete box. Any opinions? I guess I could pass them on to someone who collects such things. Here's the box full:

I would imagine there are cartridge collectors who would pay well for a full box, depending on what you paid for it. I've seen some at gun shows for like $90 to $100. If you could get the price of a box of new Bertram brass for it, it would be probably worth it. i load for the 71/84 and I find Bertram brass lasts through a lot of reloads. I believe the Dominion cartridges are from the sixties or before and may have issues with cracking. How did they shoot, by the way?

I would imagine there are cartridge collectors who would pay well for a full box, depending on what you paid for it. I've seen some at gun shows for like $90 to $100. If you could get the price of a box of new Bertram brass for it, it would be probably worth it. i load for the 71/84 and I find Bertram brass lasts through a lot of reloads. I believe the Dominion cartridges are from the sixties or before and may have issues with cracking. How did they shoot, by the way?

I like your idea of selling the box and using the proceeds to buy Bertram. Some of my .43 cases have been reloaded countless times and I'm starting to lose some of them (photo). I have BELL, Bell, Dominion, and BB headstamps among my brass. A few of the Dominion cases did have issues and appeared 'brittle'. I annealed the necks but still had issues. One case separated all the way around at the rim.....not from sizing and stretching. It had only been fired once or twice.

Wish shipping loaded ammo was easy/affordable, as I would auction the whole box and shop for Bertram. Thanks for the suggestion.

Attachments

• IMG_0191 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0191 (Medium).JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0187 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0187 (Medium).JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 16
I like your idea of selling the box and using the proceeds to buy Bertram. Some of my .43 cases have been reloaded countless times and I'm starting to lose some of them (photo). I have BELL, Bell, Dominion, and BB headstamps among my brass. A few of the Dominion cases did have issues and appeared 'brittle'. I annealed the necks but still had issues. One case separated all the way around at the rim.....not from sizing and stretching. It had only been fired once or twice.

Wish shipping loaded ammo was easy/affordable, as I would auction the whole box and shop for Bertram. Thanks for the suggestion.

Those dominion cases are balloon head and not suitable for reloading. I keep a couple boxes for dust collectors in my display case but only shoot reformed 50-90 brass in my mausers

Balloon head dominion brass

Those dominion cases are balloon head and not suitable for reloading. I keep a couple boxes for dust collectors in my display case but only shoot reformed 50-90 brass in my mausers

I'm going to cross-section a Dominion case and see what the construction is. If balloon head, that's why one of the cases separated at the base. Thanks.

Military Rifle Journal
Back